Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Year, Old Problems

I had hoped 2012 would be a better year than last.   However, when my son dropped the "D" word on his wife right after the holidays, my husband left to go to orientation for a new OTR truck-driving job, and I stepped out of bed onto a soggy carpet, I realized I was in for another 365 day of the same challenges. I called hubby home just in time to have the electricity fail downstairs.  So, now in addition to being wet, it's also dark.  It's said God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but sometimes, I wonder.  Like my sister often grumbles...if life is a test, give me an F and move on.

So because my electricity is flashing on and off as hubby works on it, I'm recycling a blog I did for my friend Heather Haven's site earlier this month.  I hope you don't mind.  Hey...they do reruns on TV, why not blogs?


Resolutions, Smezolutions by Ginger Simpson

First, I’d like to thank Heather for allowing me to join the crew blogging on her site this month. Finding her friendship has been one of the highlights of becoming a Muse author, and I absolutely love her writing. BTW, I received no compensation for my endorsement of her. (smile)

Back to why I’m here. Some are probably blogging about the goals or resolutions they’ve made for 2012. That’s one habit I avoid since it never works for me. I simply set myself up to fail, then feel horrid about it. Take for instance the year I resolved not to eat candy. I was trying to lose weight of course and figured eliminating sweets would be most helpful. After two weeks of success, then failing when someone offered me a piece of See’s candy, I feel into a funk and went on an eating spree. After I came out of my sugar-induced coma, I’d gained seven pounds. So, you see why I don’t make resolutions. Oh shucks, maybe I’ll be a sport and try five this year I’m pretty sure I can I keep.

1. Don’t adopt a cat this year. (I dislike cats…or they dislike me.)

2. Turn down any offers to be a runway model. (Obviously, this shouldn’t be too tough.)

3. Don’t win the lottery. (I’m Caucasian and don’t buy tickets…this is a snap.) 

4. Absolutely refuse contracts to race for Nascar. (Reasons too many to list.)

5. Don’t apply to be on Survivor. (I go crazy over one mosquito bite and hate bugs of any kind.)

Whew, that was hard, but feel certain I won’t break any of these resolutions. If I should, I’m pretty sure you’ll immediately be notified in newspaper headlines that might read something like this:

“Cat owner mauled to death after SPCA adoption.”

“Oldest and Fattest Woman to Stroll the Runway Makes Guinness Book of World Records.”

“White Woman Wins Lottery After Failing to Purchase a Ticket. Officials Suspicious.”

“Driver of Depends Car Causes Catastrophic Collision.”

“Oldest Survivor Player Airlifted to Mainland in Strait Jacket After Attacking Jeff Probst.”

Whew, I feel so much better since I’ve joined others who resolve to avoid pitfalls this year. Now, I can concentrate on my writing and either win the Nobel Peace Prize or write a NY Times best-selling novel. I’ve never been one to think outside the box.
****

I'll be back when everything is fixed.  Where's my Xanax?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews