Saturday, May 23, 2020

Why did I Begin to Write? By Connie Vines

Why did I begin to write? 



I, like most writers, am asked this constantly.

I don't mind, people are naturally curious.

Yes, like most novelists, I penned stories at a young age, had the ferreting instincts of a seasoned reporter, and possessed a quirky way of looking at life (my writer’s voice).  I know it annoyed my family, friends, and teachers.  However, when anyone needed unbiased information, or a detailed replay of an event which had taken place in the long-ago-past, I was, and I still am, the go-to person.

As I’ve written before, I grew up in a nomadic, career naval family.  Attending an average of three schools per year, made me an observer of people.  So, it was only natural for me to have the building blocks for future fictional characters stored away in my subconscious. Knowing the life of a reporter was not a career for me (calls at 3:00 AM to drive to who-knows-where and see who-knows-what), I decided to write for magazines and other publications instead.

When my children were young, I wrote for Jr. Medical Detective, Humpty Dumpty Magazine, religious publications, and I had a column featuring writing-tips.

I joined Romance Writers of America when a close friend of mine (Thank you, Shirlee), suggested I attend a meeting in Orange County where her sister was co-president of the Romance Writers of America's local Chapter.  This was during the ‘golden-age’ of romance writing. Fabio was the must have cover-model of the day, "Romancing the Stone" was the must-see at the movie theaters.   I attended talks, workshops and screen writing classes—wonderful training grounds for genre fiction. And was mentored by wonderfully talented and nurturing published romance novelists.

This is what brought me into the world of writing a 55.000 + word novel.

I still write short-stories and novellas, but the challenge of plotting a novel is something I enjoy.  The opening hook, character motivation, plot-twists are exciting, even though the mental energy often results in sleepless nights. Still, the characters continue to speak to me.  I am compelled to tell the story.

My first romance, under a pen-name, was published by Kensington Publishing under the Precious Gems imprint. We, Precious Gems, have kept in touch over the years.

We also have a blog titled, “Romance Gems” that we each contribute to (my blog is the 13th of each month).

Currently, I'm working on an anthology, set in New Orleans, tilted Gumbo Ya Ya, to be released by my publisher BWL Publishing, Inc. August, 2020.  The 2nd in my Sassy and Fun Fantasy novella, Bell, Book, and Gargoyle, will be released, October 2020.

Books 3 and 4 of my Rodeo Romance series will be available in early 2021.  After all, what woman doesn't love a cowboy?

Happy Reading!

Connie

Our summer mini-heat wave turned into several cold, windy, and surprisingly rainy days.

While I'm composing this blog post, I'm indulging in teapot of Early Grey English Tea.
One lump of sugar, no milk, please.



My ebooks are on sale!  It's a BIG, BIG SALE at Smashwords!

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/vinesbwl

Also available at these find online vendors:

  Books 2 Read

Bookswelovepublishing

Walmart.com

Amazon.com


7 comments:

  1. Recognise that feeling of being an observer, Connie. I always felt my first play, about Saturday work in the co-op, was sitting in my head and I just pulled it and the story uncoiled onto the page. anne stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connie, I didn't start writing that early or attend 3 different schools in one year! Whew! Your early writing gave you some great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opposite from you, my dad was out of the military when I was born and I grew up in once place, but as an adult I've been far more nomadic. I love travel, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures and places and as you say - that kind of life provides a fertile ground for the birth of characters in our heads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really disliked the swapping and changing that went on with moving schools because of the disparity between the curriculums. Labeled as a 'troublemaker' in one school, I was in further trouble when I told my teacher I was bored with class because I'd already done the work in my last school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting nomadic life but it taught you to observe and search out stories and contributed to the writer you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to find that other authors feel "compelled" to write their stories. My friends and family sometimes suggest that I shouldn't waste what little time I have when I'm not working, trying to write stories that don't sell enough for me to get any royalties. It's hard to get them to understand that now that I've started, I can't stop! The voices won't let me! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dad was a Navy man too. It has always been fun when someone asks where I was born and my answer gets to be "Japan." I am so very caucasian that it makes them do a doubletake most of the time. Granted, it wasn't always fun. School years were hard and instead of being labeled interesting, as I am now, there was the label "weird" which, of course, led to the outcast status. But I'm thinking I'm in good company since most authors hold that status.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews