Thursday, April 21, 2022

Spotlight Interview: Helen B. Henderson, Featured Author By Connie Vines #AuthorInterview, #BWLPublishing, #Spotlight, #Fire and Amulet, #Dragon Shifter Romance

Today's Spotlight Interview is with author Helen B. Henderson

Welcome to Dishin' It Out!

Helen Thank you for appearing on my Friday Spotlight Interview
Please tell us about your latest release

Helen:  Fire and Amulet is a twist of a dragon shifter romance. Trelleir is a true dragon whose magic allows him to take on human form. The last of his kind, he longs for companionship. However, his only friend is not only a human female but a slayer. Sworn to kill all dragons, including him.


Summoned by the village council, Deneas is sent on a quest to kill any and all dragons, and cannot return without proof of her success. Finding the mythical creature and avoiding its deadly talons and fire are not her only problems. Another slayer follows with orders to kill her. As she retraces her slain mother's footsteps, Deneas learns the world is not what it seems.



Connie: What was the inspiration for this story?

Helen: I’ve always wanted to fly, either in the bright blue sky or the star-filled universe. The daughter of an airline flight engineer, I learned my numbers and letters helping update manuals and reading the instrument panel of an old Constellation. As a child lying in the grass of our New Jersey farm, I would identify airplanes from their silhouette or tail logo and watch clouds drift across the sky. At one time I studied aviation and considered a career as a pilot, so it is not surprising that I’ve written several works that feature creatures who play tag with the clouds. The latest tale to take to the skies is Fire and Amulet.


Connie: What would you like to see more/less of in the genre(s) you write?

Helen: As an author, I have to say less so there is less competition. As a reader, and to be fair to my readers, my answer has to be definitely more.

It turns out that I am a romantic at heart. And, I also like to travel amongst the stars and worlds of imagination. Although there are subclassifications to the fantasy and romance genres, a book can get misclassified when the fantasy and romance are equally balanced.


The problem is greater when considering a series. Windmaster meets the qualifications of romantic fantasy. The romantic expectation of boy meets girl, are torn apart, and then getting together is fulfilled in the setting of an epic quest. Then consider the next book in the Windmaster Novels, Windmaster Legacy. It can’t be a romance as Captain Ellspeth and the Archmage Lord Dal have already met and committed to each other.


The problem if the two books are listed in different genres is that it is harder for a reader to find them as a series because the entire series won’t necessarily be together.


Connie: What, in your opinion, makes a good writer?

Helen: I personally like well-defined characters, lots of action, and interesting settings or worlds. To be a good writer is one who can blend those things into a story that takes me out of my real-time and place and allows me to journey with the characters.


Connie: Do you have a favorite paragraph/line of dialogue in this novel?

Helen: One of the lighter moments involves Deneas’ summons before the village council. She was exercising in the garden when the town bully struts up and demands she accompany him. He threatens to forcibly carry her to which Deneas offers the equivalent of “make me.” Karst’s response follows.



Excerpt:

Without a word, Deneas spun and walked into the house.

She knew the leering Karst followed close behind, but refused to give him the satisfaction of acknowledging his presence. Mentally counting his steps, she waited until she figured he was on the doorstep. A backward kick slammed the door in his face. In the same movement, she spun and dropped the wide plank into the lock brackets.

Karst’s grunt from outside told her that the door stopped at the edge of his nose. This time Deneas allowed her to smile free rein.


Connie: Why did you choose this location for your novel?

Helen: I started writing the tale during summer and the 100-degree heat translated to the desert sand dunes around Deneas’ home village of Darceth.


Connie:  If you were forced to live the rest of your life as one of your characters, who would it be?


Helen: This is a loaded question. Although I tend to write happy endings, characters’ lives are complicated (and in a fantasy world that can mean anything from being wounded in a sword battle to spending time in a dungeon. Then there are the special characters such as the dragon soul twins of the Dragshi Chronicles or the magical equines that slip into the majority of my books. At the moment I think I would like to spend time as one of the horses Trellier befriended. The thought of freedom of responsibility and going where I want is alluring.


Connie: What are your hobbies? Do any of your characters share your hobbies/interests? Do any of your hobbies play a part in your novels?


Helen: I've dabbled in various types of handcrafts over the years. Painting and photography also sneaked in, especially during my time as a correspondent when I had to provide the photographic images to accompany the articles. Time restrictions and arthritis have reduced the amount of time devoted to them as has the amount of time, effort, and energy given to my role as a caregiver.


The closest my characters have come to having a hobby similar to mine is Captain Ellspeth. She played a flute, composed music, and was a gifted artist with pen and paper. Among Lord Dal’s skills was working with wood.


Connie: Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

Helen:  A few thoughts about me and my writing. 

My writing crosses genres and reflects the contrasts of my heritage as well as that of my Gemini sign. I describe myself as a tour guide to the stars, the Old West, and worlds of imagination. Yes, I do travel in time, at least via research, re-enactments, and archaeological digs.

I love to hang out with mages, ride magical equines, and fly with dragons.

A final thought. I love to hear from readers. If you choose to write to me at helenhenderson.author@gmail.com, please put the title of one of my books in the subject line so I’ll know you’re not sending spam.


I hope readers will consider Fire and Amulet. More of my works, including the Windmaster Novels, can be found on my website listed below.

Thank you for having me.

It was my pleasure.  

Thank you for sharing your newest release with us!

Find Sales Sites for Fire and Amulet at Books2Read https://books2read.com/fire-and-amulet/ 


Find Helen online at:

Website:  https://helenhenderson-author.blogspot.com

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/HelenHenderson.author

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/history2write

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/777491.Helen_Henderson

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Helen-Henderson/e/B001HPM2XK


Happy Reading, Everyone!

Connie


2 comments:

  1. Loved this interview! Great questions to find out more about Helen. And Helen's answers were thoroughly and thoughtfully answered.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews