Wednesday, May 7, 2008

HANG UP AND DRIVE


I'm all for multi-tasking, but do you have to do it while you drive? Honestly, I rarely go out, aside from my daily eight-mile jaunts to deliver and pick-up my grandson from school, but let me count the traffic infractions I witness every day, not to mention to near misses I have with idiots who can't walk and chew gum let alone talk on a cell phone and drive. Add in eating lunch and you've got an accident waiting to kill me.

I had a totally different blog in mind today, but I just returned from picking Spencer up. In that short sixteen mile round-trip, I was amazed at the hazardous driving to which I was exposed. I heard a news announcement on television a month or so ago about using driver's licenses for the purpose of identification for airline travel. At the time, I was shocked to learn that Tennessee was among a handful of states whose residents would not be allowed to use their licenses as a form of ID. I'm beginning to think I know why. *lol* Anyhow, that's not the purpose of my blog, although if you live in TN you might want to see if that's been rectified before you plan to fly.

Anyhow, as I sat at a signal, I noticed the woman across from me chatting away on her cell. The light turned green, and I had the right away as I was proceeding straight. She bolted right out and made her left turn in front of me. Luckily, I saw the cell phone and anticipated it, plus I have a PT cruiser which is rather 'slow off the line.' Not one minute later, a big rigger trying to balance a phone with his chin while eating his hamburger, crossed over the line and forced me onto the shoulder. C'mon people...quit trying to kill me. I have things to do and books to finish.

HANG UP AND DRIVE....SAFELY!

Although I appreciate the convenience of cell phones, I firmly believe using them while driving should be against the law. Companies are literally making a killing because it seems no one can exist without having a phone to their ear, whether it be in a store or car.

Besides the risk to my life, I'm actually sick of sharing in everyone's private conversations, and I sure don't want them to hear mine. I stood in line at the Walmart pharmacy today and listened to the woman in front of me have an in-depth discussion on her cell phone about her bleeding hemorrhoid. I could have gone my whole day without that image, and I'm quite sure the other people around her didn't need to know anything about it either. :)

I remember the good old days when you actually had to pull over and find a pay phone. These days, if you do, I'm sure it has cobwebs on it and is missing the phone book, and probably the receiver.

Did you know that if you engage in an unsafe maneuver behind the wheel, while talking on the cell phone, and a police person witnesses it, it's an automatic "wreckless driving" infraction and maximum points on your record? Aside from the fine, your insurance will most likely increase because of the citation. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it against the law to use a cell phone while driving? Yes on the sense, but no on the money. It's not only the phone companies who are benefiting here. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do but share my opinion. It's like every other war. They're fought at a much higher level than one person.

Have a safe day, and watch for those people who have a chronic crick in their neck. They don't know it, but they're out to get you. And NO...I don't talk on a cell phone and drive. If it's that important, I pull over and stop. I admit, I can't walk and chew gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews