Thursday, July 30, 2009

Getting to know Phyllis Campbell

I'm very pleased to have Phyllis Campbell as my Thursday Tourist this week. Phyllis and I met under difficult circumstances with a particular publisher, but our friendship has flourished and I'm proud to call her "sis." I'm interviewing her because I want you to get to know and love her like I do.

Phyllis, you know I'm always happy when you visit, so sit back, pour yourself a cup of coffee or tea and answer these questions as best you can. You know me, I'm going to get personal. *lol*

1. What age were you when you first got bitten by the book-writing bug?
Oh, dear…you expect me to remember that far back? lol Let’s see…my youngest daughter was in kindergarten, so I was probably 28. Although I was bitten by the writing bug, I only wrote for fun the first five or so years.


2. Since I'm familiar with your writing, I know your books are always a tad on the spicy side. What prompts you to add such flare to your writing... are you a sexy person by nature?
Hell yes!!! heehee Okay, I’d like to hope I’m a sexy person by nature. I don’t know what it is…lack of sex, don’t know, but I love writing sexual tension! I love the tingles I get when hero and heroine want each other but don’t know what do to about it. I love those shy caresses, those brief, but earth-shattering kisses, and heaven help but I love when the hero’s hands start wandering… I don’t think of my stories as spicy, more like steamy. heehee

3. Did you read as a child, and if so...did you have to hide your reading material from your parents?
Believe it or not I hated to read as a child / teenager. Of course the books the school told me to read were just awful! No romance or happily ever after at all. Maybe that’s why I didn’t fall in love with romance novels until I read my very first from Kathleen Woodiwiss, A Rose In Winter. Then I was hooked on reading.

4. When you picture a sexy hero in your mind's eye, who do you see?
Tall, dark hair, and muscular. Sexy eyes. Warm smile. And he’s got to be funny as hell. I don’t have one face because each of my heroes are very different. I like variety.



5. Describe the place in your home where your write? Is it perfect for you or do you wish for a different type of environment?
My computer is in my bedroom. I have a very large bedroom (thank heavens) so my desk in here in the corner. Then I can write at night (after I get home from my yucky full time job) and my husband can lay on the bed and watch tv (with an earplug of course). At least we’re spending time together, right? lol

6. Tell us what you like most about being an author?
CONTROL! heeheee I love making my characters do what I want since I can’t control my own kids. But seriously, I think I like creating love stories that make me sigh. I like falling in love over and over and over again.



7. What do you like the least?
Getting rejected by agents and the big publishers.

8. How do you feel about critique groups? Best feature? Worst?
I love critique groups. I wouldn’t be where I am today if I hadn’t joined several years ago. I’ve been through many, and some people are just too mean and rude and don’t know what they’re talking about. But when I finally found those who knew my thoughts before I did…those are the ones I call sisters! Just like you, Ginger!

9. If you had an opportunity to do one thing over in your life, what would it be?
Only one thing? Shoot, I want to do over so many. A while ago, I would have wanted to do over when I met my husband and got married...but then I realized if that would have happened, I probably wouldn't have married him. Now I think I'd like to do over the younger years of my daughter's lives...so I could spend more time with them. The years go so fast, and next thing you know they're adults with children of their own. Now it's too late. Would they have turned out differently if I had been more attentive? I'll never know.

10. I a new author walked up to you, recognized you, and asked for your guidance, what would you tell that person?
Do you mean after I passed out from being noticed? heehee I would tell them - Don’t ever give up. If writing is what you love, then don’t ever lose your dream. Keep learning until you can make your dream a reality.

11. Anything else you'd like to share with us? Feel free.
I like to think I am the kind of author who can please all readers, mainly because of the different genres I write. Although I adore historicals, I also write contemporary, mystery, and romantic comedy. One of these days I’m going to sell my two paranormals, too. But I would like readers to visit my website – www.phyllismariecampbell.com and check out all my books on my bookshelf. (and check out the AWESOME trailers, too, since Ginger created them for me!)

My latest release, Love Comes Blindly, is with Champagne Books www.champagnebooks.com and getting great reviews. But really, I want to think I have something for everyone. Please feel free to email me and ask questions. I really don’t bite…hard. Phylliscampbell84302@yahoo.com




Thanks Ginger for having me as your Thursday Tourist. I’ve been privileged to call you friend!



Thanks, Phyllis, for always being my go-to girl. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have you as friend and fellow author. You've been so instrumental in keeping me motivated. I hope I've returned the favor.

18 comments:

  1. I LOVED Her Knight of Seduction! Looking forward to your others:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steamy sex, huh? Well, you go girl. I'll take all of it you send my way. BTW, does it help if my husband reads the book, too? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to know you are having success with your stories, Phyllis. I am privieged to have read some of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!!! Kenzie, you totally made my day. Thanks sweetie!

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, two guys that I work with like to read my stories. They won't let their wives read them though... Don't know why. LOL But yes, your hubby can read it.

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita - darling! It's soooo good to hear from you!! Thanks bunches.

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girlfriend! Great interview! You know how much I love your work so it was fun getting to know you even better. I agree, getting rejected it the hard part to publishing, but a necessary evil. And I think it's awesome that your guy co-workers read your stories. Too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always a pleasure, Phyllis, to learn more about you. Watching your successes over the past few years has been inspiring. Here's to many more.
    Rayka

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Phyllis!

    Wanted to pop on over and give you congrats on your great interview.

    I'm so pleased that I've had the opportunity to see some of your work in the drafting stages, and of course brainstorm! LOL

    Wishing you ever higher successes,

    Jewell Mason

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Ciara! Yeah, the guys I work with read my stories in the first draft stage...and I tell you, they keep begging me for the next chapter. Isn't that funny? But when I suggested for them to take it home and have their wives read it to see if they liked it - the men were like NO WAY! Funny!

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Usha, you've known me for quite a while, haven't you? lol I have come a long way baby...and hope to go farther still.

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jewell!! You're such a jewell! (grins) Thanks for your wonderful support!

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview. You write great books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Anna Kathryn! Thanks for stopping by!

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Phyllis and Ginger,
    Great interview. Steamy sex, ooh, I like the sounds of that.
    Regards
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Margaret! I always like the sound of steamy sex... (scratches head) Why didn't that come out right? ROFL!

    ~Phyllis~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Phyllis and Ginger,
    Great interview. Must read some of your books and will soon.
    Best of luck with your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview, Phyllis and Ginger. I loved getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews