Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept. 11, We Will Never Forget

by Kim Smith

I would be very remiss to talk of trivial things without at least a small remembrance of what today's anniversary is to me. The anniversary of a day as etched in my mind as any personal achievement, but one for far greater reasons. I hope you will allow my rambling and memorizing as a fitting memorial for those who gave their all that day.

I remember thinking as the events unfolded in 2001, how we as the family of America would look back on the events and remember them sadly from that day forward. How history books would recall it in sterile, factual ways, and our children would learn about it secondhand, maybe even a little aloof. But how I personally would remember the sickening feeling I experienced as I stood helpless and watched the attacks as they happened. How I watched with the rest of my countrymen as the following occurred. And how I felt the horror. And still today, I remember it.

Here Wikipedia says, "The September 11 attacks (often referred to as September 11th or 9/11) were a series of coordinated suicide attacks by Al-Qaeda upon the United States on September 11, 2001. On that morning, 19 Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners.[1][2] The hijackers intentionally crashed two of the airliners into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, killing everyone on board and many others working in the buildings. Both buildings collapsed within two hours, destroying nearby buildings and damaging others. The hijackers crashed a third airliner into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. The fourth plane crashed into a field near Shanksville in rural Pennsylvania, after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane, which the hijackers had redirected toward Washington, D.C. There were no survivors from any of the flights.

In total 2,993 people, including the hijackers, died in the attacks..."

And I hope that we, as a family of humans struggling against terrorism and atrocities against mankind, will never forget it. I know I never shall.

Please check back later today for my post on writing, as I enjoy visiting Ginger's blog, and sharing with you all!

4 comments:

  1. For sure, this is a day, like the assassination of President Kennedy...we saw history in the making. I know I'll never forget that Sept. morning as I made rounds through the nursing home where I worked and stopped to watch the news on T.V., just in time to see the second plane strike the second tower. I don't think I'd ever seen anything so shocking as that moment...and it wasn't over yet...For most Americans, that day will never be forgotten...A salute to our troops who continue to pay the price for our freedom, because freedom isn't free...Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    Thank you so much for marking this day with a tribute. The disturbing videos and films still bring back the chills and fear I felt the day I watched the whole scenario unfold. It's very hard for me to absorb that there are many in this country who believe our own government staged this. For what reason or benefit? I second Tab's salute to our troops for their vigil and dedication that keeps us safe.

    Thank you for being my guest today.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you guys! Yes, this is one of those days that you spend feeling really sad and yet, hopeful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate your thoughtful comments here, Kim. This is a day that carries a lot of emotional load for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews