Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mainsteam Versus E-Pubs

With all the continued interest and growing popularity of e-book readers, I've really re-evaluated my "bucket list." The recent announcement that Dorchester has been dis-invited from RWA because of failed contractual obligations doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to figure out that lagging paperback sales are the problem. Readers are finding new horizons using Kindle, Nook, Sony and IPad, to name the four most popular hand-held devices.I consider myself lucky to be involved in this "reading" revelation and wonder why I would want to be part of a big house.

Let's look at a few of the advantages we e-pubbed authors share:
1. Ease of editing and conversation with our peers.
2. Growing help with promotion and marketing strategies.
3. Extended shelf-life. If your book isn't a hot seller with one of the big houses, your work can disappear forever. In e-publishing, you have the right back to your work once your contract expires, and you can improve and re-contract elsewhere. I've done this with my first three books, and I feel I'm offering a much better product this time around. If you're happy where you are, your current publisher may offer to re-contract your work.
4. New opportunities for personal appearances by providing demonstrations about ebooks and the ease of downloading.
5. A lot less stress. Believe it or not, we enjoy a minimum of stress to promote and sell. Mainstream authors have already received advance on their royalties, and now they have to earn it.

I'm sure there are more advantages, so feel free to share them in the your comments.  Libraries are getting on the bandwagon, as are schools and colleges. Someone wise once said, "Blossom where you're planted."  I'm planning on doing just that.


The Dorchester/RWA article is here:

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/07/15/thursday-midday-links-dorchester-dis-invited-from-rwa/

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ginger! Despite the fading stigma that e-books aren’t real books and the people who write them aren’t real authors, I’m proud to be e-pubbed. My e-books aren’t any different than my print books. Another thing I find very appealing is the camaraderie and support found with other authors, and even your publishers and editors. You don’t see as much of that going on in the big houses.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews