Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday Blog Hop

Today's Question: 

Characters- Are the names of your characters in your novels important? What about the titles of your stories

Of course names are important.  Especially when you write historical novels.  Hero and Heroines' names have to fit the era.  You wouldn't usually find a Shiniquewa  in the old west, or even in jolly old England.  Imagine reading about cowboys and having a hero named  Shaquille O'Neal gallop by.   Names need to be pertinent to what you write.  Dukes and Duchesses need regal sounding names, not monikers like Billy Bob or John Boy.  :)

I would imagine Fantasy might give you more leeway.  For instance, in my "Tooth Fairy  Wisdom," I developed characters with names that have "toothy" appeal.  Dentinia is the world they live in, Molnaria is one of the fairies...I think you get the idea.  Here you can sort of use imagination.


For short stories, the same holds true.  Anything you write, even though fictional, you want to at least have believable characters with names that fit the time period.


I'm very lucky in that most of my characters come to me already named and with a title for their book or story.  But yes, character names are very important no matter whether you write full-length novels or short stories.  


If you want to participate in Thursday's Blog Hop, click on the link on the right side of this page.





8 comments:

  1. Social class is also a factor in the UK with some names being considered posher than others

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good point. For those writing historical pieces, it's very important to make note of when certain names came into being. Words too for that matter.

    ~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled at the idea of Billy Bob as a duke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree, Ginger :) (Yes, I made it! LOL)

    You can't have a historical piece with modern names. And some names will be forever 'taken' like John-boy (Waltons) and oh yes, Duke Billy Bob - made me smile too!

    Here's my <a href="http://angelikadevlyn.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/author-blog-hop-name-that-character/>latest blog hop post</a>! Thanks for playing along :)

    Angel
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree, Ginger :) (Yes, I made it! LOL)

    You can't have a historical piece with modern names. And some names will be forever 'taken' like John-boy (Waltons) and oh yes, Duke Billy Bob - made me smile too!

    Here's my latest blog hop post! Thanks for playing along :)

    Angel
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also caution you about the names you give secondary characters, too. I wanted to write a story about a secondary character, but decided I didn't like her name after all. I may still write her story, but it's on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's also a problem when a name sounds modern, but isn't. I wanted to put a Kimberly in a Regency, but I keep being told it's too modern. It was around then, but when I go back to the story, she probably won't be Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always been told that my name is classic or old fashioned. I thought it was boring, I even changed the spelling of it for a while (my little rebellion) to Aemi. I do agree that there are those names that are not 'transferable' between time periods and or genre's sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews