Friday, May 18, 2012

An Anniversary of Sorts

Divorce doesn't have to be a mean and spiteful occurence.  Sometimes things change, and people grow apart because of them.  I know because that happened in my first marriage.  There isn't ever a time when you can consider you've passed that "safety line" that keeps divorce from your door. I learned that after thirty-two years, but I left with sorrow in my heart rather than bitterness.  My then husband developed a love for Jack Daniels that drove a wedge through our union.  He was sick, he didn't stop loving me.

I've been re-married for almost sixteen years, and not one of the previous years passed without a call on May 18th from my ex, reminding me that the day held a special meaning for us.  In May of 1963, he proposed to me, and he never forgot the date.  Many years, I did, but he never let it slip his mind, and he never failed to call to tell me I was always going to be the only women he loved.

Last year was the first year I didn't get that call, because he passed away on April 19th.  I was still grieving his loss and "our" special day passed by without recognition.  This year,  I'm really going to miss his phone call.  I realized that today is May 18th, and the phone isn't going to ring, and I'm not going to hear his voice say, Remember what today is?"  Well, Dale, wherever you are, I do remember, and despite being very much in love with my husband, Kelly, even he knows I will always love you.  I don't know if I ever told you in so many words, but it was an honor being your wife and the mother of your children.  You are missed, especially today when you always brought a smile to my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews