Monday, August 13, 2012

Rita's challenge to you. Plus - GOAL SETTING -


Here is my challenge to you:
Ø  During the day, as your day unfolds, check in with your choice and see how well you are holding your intention.
Ø  If you have veered off course, it is ok. Simply recognize it.
Ø  Stop, breathe and ask yourself, “what do I have to let go of, right now, to realign myself towards the intention I chose this morning?”
Ø  Reset your intention in the moment. Honor the choice you made.
Ø  Repeat daily and watch how your life changes.

     Goal Setting!    Smart goals are the most effective way to set goals- The formula I use for goal setting is called the SMART goals system.
     So what are smart goals? Smart means
S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Acceptable
R - Realistic
T - Time-frame
     1. Specific- Specific means that you describe your goal in as much detail as possible, the more clearly defined, the better.
     For example, "I will write a book, " is a general goal. Instead, "I will write a historical romance by December 31st," is a specific goal. If you dream of a new car, what does the new car look like? You decide on a "Packer yellow, 2012 Aveo that gets 40 MPG, including a full package navigation system."  Good, this is a specific goal. -- The more precise you are, the better.
     2. Measurable - To see if your goal is measurable, you may ask questions such as How many? How much? How do I know when the goal is achieved?
You will know how you process your goal when making it measurable. You stay on track, reach your goal little by little, and see your progress.
     If a goal cannot be measurable, it is not a smart goal. That's why "happy" or "successful" are not goals as such. Be specific! "I plan to write ten pages every day, " shows the specific target to be measured. "I will write every day," is not as measurable.
     3. Acceptable (some smart goals say Acheivable) - It means you accept this goal and what it requires to achieve it. It doesn't mean easy, just that you can have a reasonable expectation of achieving the goal.
     4. Relevant (some smart goals say Realistic) - Realistic means that you can complete the goal. This goal is acceptable and can be reached. Relevant means that the goal is important to you. It's something that you genuinely want, that fits in with your values and beliefs, and that you are prepared to work towards the goal.
     It's important to distinguish here between a goal and a passing thought. For example, you may like the notion of becoming a top racing driver, but are you really prepared to get up early and train every single day for the next 5 years?
     5. Time-frame - Time-frame is the last factor. It means you have to put a deadline on achieving your goal. Well, suppose we don't put a deadline, how long is it going to take? Maybe forever. So add a completion date to your goal.
Once you have set up a goal, find out if your goal is smart according to this system. Adjust your goal until it is a smart goal.
     When you are writing your goals, you should start from your big picture goals. If you start from mini goals, you may lose sight of the big picture goals and go to the wrong direction. Our lives have many aspects so think about what you want to achieve in these aspects.
     You will have a road map of your life after writing down your goals. Writing goals is really interesting and I really like this process of goal setting. It gives you the opportunity to plan your future life. You will decide where you want to go and what you will be like many years later. Isn't it exciting?


2 comments:

  1. Are you really this organized or are you pulling me leg? *lol*
    I need to make notes and practice this because since I retired, there is no rhyme or reason to how I do things. At least working gave me structure. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually ... I have to be this organized - or I'd never get anything done. When I didn't set goals time just flew by ... before I knew it another year had passed and I hadn't accomplished what I wanted to. Once I started setting goals - the guidelines kept things in perspective. Soon I had one book finished ... then another... then another. Not only was I writing, I was reading, and doing things I've always wanted with my family. It seemed like I had more time. Instead I was wasting less time and accomplishing more. You're right about the 'working gives us more structure' ... I get more done during the week - the weekend sails by - of course they are structured somewhat for me - because I choose to have certain goals during the weekend also - because my goal is to write at least four hours a day on Saturdays and Sundays! :) Reet

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews