Friday, February 8, 2013

READERS SELLING USED DIGITAL COPIES?


 As an author, we often find ourselves plagued by pirates who share digital copies of our books on-line.  While some of us try to view it as free promotion, others feel it's a slap in the face to see someone else profiting from something we spent hours to create.  Since I've been part of Amazon's Kindle Select program, I can't really complain because Amazon presented my work for free and my sales improved.  The whole process confuses me.

For years, new and updated copies of my "trade-paperback" books have competed with the new and updated versions because Amazon refuses to take down the old copies because it denies their customers the right to "resell" used copies they've purchased and read.  It's confusing when you have duplicated titles listed with different covers.  I've tried to combat that recently by having a new cover AND title, but let the readers know that the book was formerly published under another name.  I'm not trying to pull any fast ones on anyone, but I can't say the same about Amazon.

After the whole story comes out, I may have to retract my last statement, but I'm wondering how they expect us to continue to make anything from our hard work if they keep finding ways to undermine us.  Now, they supposedly have devised a way to "resell" digital copies of our work.  Will we still be left out of the profit margin while they aren't?  I guess we'll have to wait and see, but the whole thing makes me question if I want to continue to write even though it's a passion.

Check out the announcement yourself and feel free to share your feelings here.

http://paidcontent.org/2013/02/05/amazon-wins-patent-to-create-a-marketplace-for-used-digital-content/?goback=.gde_36621_member_211889703

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews