Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Keowee Valley Reviewed by Ginger Simpson


Keowee Valley by Katherine Scott Crawford:


The year is 1768 and twenty-five-year-old Quincy McFadden has visions.  When she receives one revealing that her cousin is alive and held captive by Shawnee Indians, Quinn gives up her uneventful life with her grandfather and sets off with a vision far beyond saving her relative.

Deep in the rough and rugged South Caroline Blue Ridge mountains, Quincy meets and bestows her trust and heart to a half-blood tracker, Jack Wolf. Together with his Indian brother, the two men achieve milestones a woman never could, and with visions of the upheaval between the King of England and those who wish to overthrow him, Quinn's life as head of her own little township becomes even more tense and exciting as she must learn to trust the man she loves...a man who could harbor hatred for the life she hopes to continue to build in a land that holds such beauty.

As a debut novel, I was quite enthralled with this story.  Although for me, it did bog down a bit at the beginning, the lull didn't dim my desire to know the outcome of the storyline.  I was particularly drawn in by the descriptive abilities and beautiful scenes portrayed by Ms. Crawford.  If this is her first offering, I can only imagine how wonderful her novels yet to come will be.

I highly recommend this book based on so many facets, including the historical accuracy and the fact that I was captured by each and everyone of her characters.  If I had to pick what she excels in, I would say descriptive phrasing that puts the reader immediately in the scene.  She's wonderful at showing and not telling.

This review was meant to appear on Historical Novel Reviews site, but due to eye issues which kept me from posting timely reviews, I am no longer a member of that group.  I humbly offer my apologies to the author, and present her with my "I Dug It" Award, which I only present to authors whose books I truly have or will enjoy during this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews