Thursday, December 12, 2013

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO SAY ‘NO’ by RITA KARNOPP

Days fly by faster than ever before.  We are doing more things, going more places, and working harder than ever.  How do we ever get it all done?

I’ve come to that stage of my life where I realize – sometimes you just have to say ‘no.’  I know it doesn’t feel good and it’s certainly not easy, but there are times when you know you should say ‘no.’

Everyone has needs and wants.  Let’s face it - everyone could use a helping hand.  We have JOBs, family, house, church, friends, and kids are in sports or other events . . . the list goes on and on.  How do we fit it all in and remain sane?  I’m sure we’ve all asked ourselves that question a time or two!

We also need to fit our writing into this scenario.  I would guess every writer reading this will admit – the first thing to be put on the back burner is your writing time.  It’s not right.  Your writing should have equal importance to whatever else you have on your plate.

One reason writing is the first thing to be set aside is our attitude toward our writing time.  You must make it clear that you have writing schedules and deadlines. (If you don’t – start making them!)  Don’t let the phone, TV, people, and even the dog distract you from your scheduled writing time.

That brings us back to the beginning – sometimes you just have to say ‘no.’  No to will you bake cookies for this event, or will you run to the store, or will you help with a garage sale, or will you be the secretary for the garden club?  “No … no … no … no.”

Be polite, but the answer is ‘no.’   I’m sorry, but I have a deadline to get my next book to my publisher by the 30th of this month.  I wish I could help you, but this time I truly must say ‘no.’   See . . . that wasn’t so hard, was it? 


Realize, you have a right to say ‘no’ and people will respect when you just can’t say ‘yes.’  Stand firm and others will learn - you respect your writing goals and deadlines, and they will, too.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that great reminder.These days, I feel like I have to clone myself three times over just to get through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Peggy. Some days are crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews