Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Freebits with Ginger - #frifreebits #blogshare


Welcome back to my Friday event, shared with a few friends.  I do hope you're enjoying the six paragraphs everyone shares weekly.  I know I am.

Last week, I finished one chapter, so this week, I'm starting Living La Vida Loca.  Here's my six for the week:


I had the good fortune to retire early and devote more time to my writing career.  I do most of my writing in the wee hours of the morning because I've become a night person.  I don't have to get up at a specific time, and I don't have to be anywhere unless I choose to be.  It's a great feeling.

After I had about three books published, I noticed the tide had turned from good old-fashioned romance to hot, steamy sex novels...at least that's what I saw on many of my email loops.  So, not wanting to be left behind by the "erotica" parade, I thought, why not try my hand at writing something a little out of my league.  Did I say little?

The first thing I discovered is you really should have some sort of background on which to draw.  Since I'm a pantser, in my other books, I've depended on my character to tell me a story, but sadly, in Beaches, there wasn't anyone qualified for the job.  I missed the boat on imagination too, as I've never been a sexual being...so I was lacking in two areas at the starting line.  By comparison with what I've read, I have a really boring sex life.  In all my years, I've never heard half the terms you have to pen to create effective sex scenes that meet an editor's approval.  If my husband ever invited me to bed by saying, "Let me slip my pulsing rod into your enticing sheath," I might understand the pulsing rod thing, but I doubt I'd know where he wanted to put it...at least until recently.  I've read some of my competitor's books.  Whew!

I have a question for you.  When your husband makes love to you, do you really think of your nipples as "hardened nubs?"  I guess as I've gotten older and my boobs now sag...and yes it will happen to you too, so don't laugh, the "hard" part for me is trying to imagine the time when they were perky.  When and if I have "nubs," I'm really cold.  Remember that cute little saying, "your headlights are on?"  If mine are, there's a draft somewhere and I need a sweater.

And another burning issue.  How many ways can you describe a penis?  They just aren't that attractive in my opinion.  I know they come in various sizes, some with helmets and some without, but don't they all function the same way?  I'm at a loss to take something ugly and try to make it beautiful for the reader.  Surely they've seen a male organ and drawn their own conclusion.

I've had sex hundreds of times...okay let me do the math here.  I started being intimate at a later age than most because of parental fear, multiply that by x times a week and then by x years....hmmm, I may have exaggerated a little here.  Okay, so I'm not a big fan of hopping into bed for a quickie, but I do support women who get frequent headaches, and my husband can attest to that.  My approach to intimacy will never be "Park that big organ here in my love tunnel."  I'm sticking with "Can you bring me two Tylenol?"

*****

OKay...that's this week's offering and I hope you'll want to read more.  I'll be back next week...will you?  In the meantime, hop over to my friends and see what they're sharing today.


Jamie Hill
Roseanne Dowell
Tricia McGill
Juliet Waldron
Sydell Voeller
Taryn Raye
Kathy Fischer-Brown
Rhobin Lee Courtright

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious as usual, Ginger. I think you represent most women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ginger, you are so on the mark. I laughed myself silly, especially on the "headlights" bit. I really don't like reading erotica so have never tried my hand at it, so good on you for having a go.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews