Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Freebits with Ginger Simpson #frifreebits


Welcome to Friday Freebits and six paragraphs from my short story collection, Discovery.  I love short stories, and although warned they don't sell well, I remember subscribing to the Condensed Reader's Digest books and loving the opportunity to enjoy a short read.  I hope you'll be enticed to want to read more.  This is the second to the last story in this book, so after next week, I'll begin another book.  Until then, enjoy today's six:

Set up:  Sarah and Melinda are their mother's room after the woman's funeral.  Melinda is sitting on the edge of the bed and Sarah in her mother's favorite chair.

The Forget-Me-Nots

Sarah stood and walked to the ornate wooden box on the dresser.  She turned, her hand on the top.  "Would you mind if I went through Mom's jewelry and picked out a special keepsake?"

"Of course not.  Take whatever you want.  We're not going to be like some families who develop claws and fangs over a loved-one's personal belongings."

Melinda peered up at Sarah.  "When did you get so tall?  Seems like just yesterday you were ten and now your twenty and in college.  Where has time gone?"

Sarah shook her head.  "I don't know.  At times, I long to be a kid again, then Mom could spoil me rotten.  I always like being the baby of the family."

The doorbell rang.  Mel stood, patted Sarah's arm and meandered out toward the living room.  Sarah picked up the small mahogany chest that matched the other furniture pieces in the room and walked back to the rocking chair and sat.  Tears stung the back of her eyes.

She fingered the scalloped edges around the top and the gold plate being the initials "CP."   When she opened the box, her mother's favorite scent wafted out, stirring a wealth of memories.  Sarah doubted she could ever smell lavender again and not think of Mom.  The contents sparkled in the lamplight.


So, what will Sarah "discover" in the jewelry box?  Want to know more....yep, you guessed it.  I'm a tease and you'll have to find your own copy on my amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/author/gingersimpson.




If you wonder why there are no links, I've decided to keep this as a permanent feature for my own use.  I hope you'll continue to follow me each Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Melancholy with a hint of surprise and change to come, intriguing scene. Thanks, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews