Friday, January 2, 2015

Friday Freebits with Ginger Simpson #Frifreebits



“Ring, damn it!” Cassie sat, curled up on the sofa, and stared at the phone. For the last hour she’d fought with herself about being the one to initiate the call, but her mother’s words echoed in her mind. “Nice girls don’t call boys. They wait.”

Cassie wondered what her mother would think about this whole Internet dating scene. Mom maintained old-fashioned standards, still believing that real men opened doors and threw their cloaks over mud puddles. Cassie opened her own doors and stepped over puddles, but the one thing she couldn’t do was fill the void of loneliness inside herself.

The phone’s loud ring sliced through the silence, startling her and ending her dilemma. She took a deep breath before she answered. She didn’t want to sound too eager.

“Hello.”

“Hi, purdy lady.”

Cassie’s heart warmed. She snuggled down on the couch and cuddled the phone between her head and shoulder.

“Hi yourself, cowboy, I was hoping you’d call.” The bold admission shocked her.

“Reckon I’d have to be a darn fool not to call. I’ve been thinking ‘bout you all day.”

Cassie chuckled. The rapid palpitations of her heart made her feel as though she was back in high school.

“What? Why are you laughin’ at me? I just couldn’t think of anything but you and wantin’ to call you tonight.”

“I wasn’t laughing at you. I just love your voice. You sound so cute.”

“I reckon I’m a far cry from cute, but I like that you think that. So … you thought of me today?”
“I told you I was hoping you’d call me tonight. If my mom hadn’t taught me better, I would have called you first.” Cassie swore under her breath and felt a warm flush creep up her neck. She barely knew the man and already she confessed an interest in him. What if he was a serial killer or something? She felt so conflicted.

“I sure would like to meet you in person,” Evan drawled.

“Don’t you think you’re being a little premature?”

“Pre what?”

“Don’t you think you’re rushing things? We’ve only talked on the phone a few times. I think we need to get to know each other better before we even think about meeting.”

Cassie’s own ruling caused a pang of disappointment. Maybe she was afraid of meeting him, but curiosity was killing her.

“What’d you do today?” She picked a safe question, but one that might tell her a little more about him.

“I started out drawing some landscaping plans but found myself distracted.”

“By what?”

“Thoughts of you. What else?”

“I’m sorry I interfered with your work, but flattered that your thoughts were of me.”

“You have no idea how much you disrupted my day. I tried to work but I kept checkin’ my watch.”
At the mention of time, she glanced at the clock. If only time at work went by as fast as the time she spent on the phone with Evan. Reluctantly, she put an end to their flirty banter. “Gosh, I just noticed the time. It’s late and I have some work to do before I can get some sleep. I’ve really enjoyed our chat. Call me tomorrow?”

“Sure ‘nuff, baby girl. Hope you dream of me.”

Betrayed is available with my other works on my Amazon page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews