“Great Pumpkin,” represented an open and inviting canvas for legendary animator Bill Melendez, who worked on classic Disney films and “Looney Tunes” shorts before coming to the world of “Peanuts.”
[The 7 things you might not know about ‘It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!’]
Buoyed success of the Peanuts Christmas Special, Charles Schulz, Melendez and Mendelson hashed out the new special’s plot quickly — including Linus’s late-night vigil as he waits for the Great Pumpkin, even as others question where he places his faith. (Linus had delivered the iconic “meaning of Christmas” speech in the first special, quoting from Luke.)
Their swift narrative certainty for “Great Pumpkin” freed Melendez (who also voiced Snoopy) and his crew — including gifted animator Bill Littlejohn — to create stunning watercolor skies and rich autumn hues that provide every scene with its own mood, apart from the characters. Melendez brilliantly painted both motion and emotion.
“It is by far the most colorful of the shows,” Mendelson says, “as Bill and his team captured the vibrancy of the fall season.”
And the camera, reviews report, often so static in “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” zooms in for facial close-ups in the follow-up that provide the viewer with a poignant intimacy.
“Because of this, I think we as viewers are right there in the pumpkin patch with Linus and Sally,” the Bay Area-based Mendelson says, “as she berates him for failing to produce the Great Pumpkin.”
9 Best Quotes:
1. Lucy Van Pelt: A person should always choose a costume which is in direct contrast to her own personality.
2. Linus: Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."
3. Lucy: All you have to do is walk up to a house, ring the doorbell, and say "tricks or treats."
Sally : Are you sure it's legal?
Lucy: Of course it's legal.
Sally: I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble.
4. Linus: Have you come to sing pumpkin carols?
5. Linus: You don't believe the story of the Great Pumpkin? I thought little girls always believed everything that was told to them. I thought little girls were innocent and trusting.
Sally Brown: Welcome to the 20th century!
6. Linus: You've heard of the fury of a woman scorned, haven't you?
Charlie Brown: Yeah, I guess I have.
Linus: Well, that's nothing compared to the fury of a woman who has been cheated out of trick-or-treats.
7. Linus: There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
8. Linus: He'll come here because I have the most sincere pumpkin patch and he respects sincerity.
9. Linus: [writing to the Great Pumpkin] You must get discouraged because more people believe in Santa Claus than in you. Well, let's face it; Santa Claus has had more publicity, but being #2, perhaps you try harder.
Do you have a favorite "Peanuts" Special?
Snoopy and Linus.
The Great Pumpkin.
Peanuts Characters remind me to enjoy life!
Happy October Everyone.
Thank you for stopping by to read my Thursday blog here at "Dishn' It Out!"C\