Friday, October 22, 2021

Halloween Memories, Good, Bad, or Frightening? By Connie Vines #RR (89), #BWLAuthor, #MFRAurhor. #Halloween, #HalloweenTreats

This month's Round Robin topic: Your most frightening Halloween, or childhood memory. 🎃🍬👻

Well, as I've stated more than once, I enjoy Halloween without the gore and nightmare-making, fright-night events.

As a child, I dressed up in a homemade costume: I was a Zombie, a Genie, a Cat, but never a princess or a frightening monster.
Even as an adult, I would take my children, along with half-a-dozen or more neighborhood kids trick-or-treating, rather than sit on the porch and hand out candy.

Fortunately, my husband's favorite Halloween event was handing out (and sampling) candy from the witch's cauldron or large plastic pumpkin beside the wooden bench.

My favorite activities during the Halloween Season? I watched: "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown", I also watched the Classic Universal Studios movies: "The Mummy", "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" ( in inspiration for the gory-updated version "The Shape of Water), "The Wolfman", and "Dracula". I also watched, "The Bride of Frankenstein". Once.  "The Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein," caused nightmares for me. As did Mary Shelley's novel.

In all deference to Mary Shelly, "Meerkat Manor" gives me nightmares, too.

meerkat manor


So, it goes without saying, my novel, Here Today, Zombie Tomorrow, is not The Walking Death type of novella.


 Movies are recommended for skittish people: (Pumpkin = I watch/ Ghost = I can't watch)

1. Hocus Pocus 👻

2. The Addams Family (classic and updated) 🎃

3.  It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown 🎃

4. Ghostbusters (original) 🎃

5. Frankenweenie 👻

6. Halloweentown 🎃

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas 👻

8. Little Shop of Horrors 👻

9. The Munsters (classic) 🎃

10. Practical Magic 🎃

11. Casper 👻


What move do I always watch?  It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  I love, love this movie.  Snoopy in the pumpkin patch always makes me smile.

The crazy thing is, I can read and re-read the novel Dracula by Braun Stoker and watch the 1990’s movie version of Dracula and I am fine.  (Dracula, like The Phantom of the Opera, falls under the umbrella of tortured hero and love story).

Please visit these "spooktacular- blog hop participants.  What Halloween Tales are They Spinning??


Skye Taylor http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea

Victoria Chatham http://www.victoriachatham.com

Marci Baun http://www.marcibaun.com/blog/

Connie Vines http://mizging.blogspot.com/

Dr. Bob Rich https://wp.me/p3Xihq-2sc

Rhobin L Courtright http://www.rhobincourtright.com





After visiting the other participants in this month's Round Robin Blog Hop,

Stop by CTR and sign up to win a gift certificate!



Happy Halloween,

Connie














5 comments:

  1. I'm going to watch some of the movie titles you posted. I've seen most of them, but they are a reminder of some great somewhat-scary movies. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Connie. I love the Adams family. anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy scaring tweens and teens. If you visit my blog and watch the posted video, you’ll see an instance of that. The kids loved it and so did we. Strangely enough, I don’t like horror movies, but, maybe, that’s because I grew up in a haunted house and used to have nightmares, terrifying nightmares. I didn’t feel my imagination needed any inspiration. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of Halloween movies to check out. I think I'll go see which ones my library might have. Did you know I live in a little beach bungalow that was once part of the motel that the Creature from the Black Lagoon came to after escaping from the Marineland tank where they were trying to train him. He came after the woman and carried her off with a half dozen black police cars in chase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about your movie list, especially Little Shop of Horrors. I hadn't thought of any of those in a long time. If I had to pick a Halloween movie it would be the silent, black and white movie Nosferatu made in 1922. No, I wasn't around then, but have seen it several times since I first came across it. It's a classic. Loved Here Today, Zombie Tomorrow and thoroughly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews