Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday Trivia

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I totally missed Monday Mania yesterday, and I apologize. I decided to spend most of the day blubbering instead of blogging, but today I have a new perspective, have prayed about the problem, and feel much more positive because I have some wonderful friends who remind me that the glass is still half-full. My son lost his job yesterday...the one he's held faithfully for many years and hoped to retire from one day. This economy sucks, but there are so many others in his same situation, one can only hope that something will change for the better. I also have faith in my son and his many talents. He'll find a job to support his family, no matter what it entails. I truly believe there is nothing he can't do when he sets his mind to it. Of course it hurt more because he's my baby. If you mess with my children, it hurts me too, and I know other mothers relate. *smile* But on to more 'trivial' stuff.

Thanks to everyone who played last week. I had a great batch of entries and although not one got every question right, I was surprised at how much people know about their fairy tales. I've picked a winner, and she is: Becky Ward. Becky will be receiving a free copy of Sparta Rose (now available at Amazon in print.) I just found a wonderful review someone left there about it. :)

Here are the trivia answers:

1. Goldilocks ate up the mother bear's porridge. True or False?

2. In what year was "Sleeping Beauty" first published? 1634

3. In the original fairy tale, the prince renames Thumbelina to what name? Maia

4. What did Hansel and Gretel leave as a trail, in order to find their way home the second time? Breadcrumbs

5. What is the literal meaning of the name, Rumplestiltskin?
a. Wrinkled little man
b. Crazy little man
c. Little rattle stilt
d. Little name stealer

6. What color was the apple that the evil stepmother gave Snow White to eat?
a. white and red
b. red and yellow
c. green
d. red

7. Who published the original "Rapunzel" fairy tale?
a. The Grimm Brothers
b. Aarne Thompson
c. Aesop
d. Andrew Lang

8. In the tale of "Three Billy Goats Gruff," what lives under the bridge the goats must cross?
a. A goblin
b. A troll
c. A witch
d. A dragon

9. What were the names of the Three Little Pigs?
a. Oscar, Hamlet, Ribsy
b. Larry, Peter, Paul
c. Not mentioned
d. Twinkle, Winkle, Wrinkle

10. Who published "The Little Mermaid"?
a. Charles Perrault
b. Hans Christian Anderson
c. Charles Dickens
d. Jeanette Hassenpflug

11. "Beauty and the Beast" hails from what country?
a. Germany
b. England
c. Sweden
d. France

12. "Jack and the Beanstalk" is a well-known tale of a young man who deals with a giant at the end of a beanstalk. The giant usually said the following when a human was nearby: "Fee Fie Fo Fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman..." Complete the saying:
a. Be he live or be he dead, I grind his bones for my bread.
b. He might be alive, or he might be dead, The less we speak of him, the better said.
c. If he's alive of if he's dead, he better not steal my gold or bread.
d. Is he alive? Is he dead? The answer is something I do dread.

13. How did the frog turn into a prince in the original telling of the Grimm Brothers' "Frog Prince"?
a. A wish of the princess changed him
b. She kisses him
c. The princess throws him against the wall in disgust
d. Her father the king commanded the change

14. In the Norwegian fairy tale, "The Princess on the Glass Hill" (Or Glass Mountain), what three objects does she hold?
a. Golden apples
b. A ruby, a diamond, an emerald
c. A sword, a crown, a staff
d. Silver pears

15. Pinocchio, from the Italian fairy tale by Carlo Collodi, does not appreciate the advice given by the talking cricket. What does he do to get the cricket to stop?
a. Traps him in a jar
b. buries him in the garden
c. throws a hammer at him
d. feeds him to a crow

Again, thanks to funtrivia.com for providing the impetus for fun.

No trivia this week... instead I'd love if you went to Amazon and read the most current review left there. I love finding surprises like this. :)

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I didn't take the Tuesday Trivia quiz last week, because over half of those questions I would not have had a clue.

    I read the two lovely reviews at Amazon. I'm sure you were smiling from ear to ear when you read them! [smiles]

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews