Thursday, October 29, 2009

Random Events of a Trick-or-Treater

Hi Readers,
Before we begin the fun journey in the history of this Trick-or-Treater, I must thank Miz Ginger for asking me to be one of her guest bloggers. It’s always a thrill to be here. I’m paranormal romance author, Tabitha Shay and today, I’m going to share with you some of the funny things and not so funny things that happened to me as child growing up during that special holiday events….Halloween.

The earliest Halloween I can remember, I must have been about three or four. We still lived in California and since I started first grade in Oklahoma, I can easily pinpoint the age to a close margin. Oh my, for a small child, it was a bit overwhelming… Candy?
Gosh, I wasn’t even sure why I was out there being dragged from house to house in search of this special treat, but hey, it sounded like fun to me and I was always a sucker for a sucker.

Woe is me! How little did I know this would be one of the most frightening experiences of my life? Of course, Mom and Dad was with me, after all, they wanted to show off their little Trickster. I remember the house that changed my view of Halloween and forever scared my little soul. The house was sooooo dark and creepy and on the front door was this skeleton. Nothing in this world was going to force me up that front door to ask for candy. Heck no! I set my stubborn little mind, planted my feet in concrete and wouldn’t budge. That skeleton was out to get me. I can still hear Daddy’s laughter today and his gentle encouragement.

Finally, he gave up, lifted me in his arms and carried me to the front door that housed those spooky bones. Amazing, once the lady opened the door, smiled and dropped candy in my sack, I was fine. After all, the skeleton hadn’t gobbled me up and it left my treats alone. I was a happy little girl.

But one does have to wonder about the trauma we as adults bring on our little ones by taking them out to Trick-or-Treat at such an early age…however, it didn’t stop me from taking my children around when they were the same age. It was tradition, still is, and now that I’m an old lady, I try to make Halloween a fun-filled scary time for the kids who ring my doorbell at Halloween.


Oh, boy…the second memory upper most in my mind is a time when I was about ten. I’d reached the age where I could take a couple of my siblings along with me and walk a few blocks around the small rural neighborhood where I grew up…As we trudged out way up the road, I felt an unusual burning in my left leg. Because it was dark, I had no idea what had happened. I thought a snake had bit me, before I realized it was way too cold for snake to be out crawling on the road. Well, it happened again, but this time, it hurt a bit more and I screamed and rubbed my leg. And I decided a hungry vampire bat had bit me instead of a snake. Had to be a bat…what else would bite me on Halloween?

Come to find out, it was a couple of young boys from the neighborhood hiding in a ditch and when kids walked past them, they’d shoot them with their Bee-Bee guns. I put a spell on them and turned them both into pumpkins.

Moving fast forward here, boy, I still have never confessed doing this to my mom, she’d kill me and I’m all of sixty…bad when one still fears their mother’s wrath…Laughs…but this was just too much fun to pass up doing….we still lived way out in the country and had no modern facilities. Oh yes, the dreaded outhouse was a common part of our lives in those days and Mother guarded ours like the wicked witch from the West and East every Halloween. No one was going to tip our toilet over! Ha! Little did she know the culprits came from within? While Mom was busy making the traditional popcorn balls and passing out candy, my aunt sneaked into the house and eased me outside. I was about twelve by this time and no longer went out in search of treats. But I did love a good trick. My aunt said “Come on, we’re going to dump over the outhouse.”

Why I thought this was a great idea, I’ll never know, after all, it was where I conducted business… But we sneaked right past my mother’s guard and tilted over the toilet. It wasn’t until early the next morning Mom discovered the toilet was lying on its back like a big fat turtle. I can still hear her angry shouts.
Would you confess your guilt? Didn’t think so…

There you have it readers, some of the things that happened to me in my early years of growing up. I hope you’ve had a laugh or two and enjoyed the random events in this child’s life, because no matter how old I get, I’ll always be that little girl at heart…Happy Halloween to all your little pumpkins….Tabs


NOTE FROM GING: What Tabitha forgot to mention is that she is the author of a wonderful "Witch" series available at Eternal Press.
You can read more about Tab and her work on her wonderfully, inventive website. Step carefully into the realm.

17 comments:

  1. Good morning! It's hard to believe that Halloween is just two days away, the year is almost gone.

    I loved the memoreies. One of my earliest memories is trick or treating as a devil and lifting up my mask at each and every house saying "don't be scared, it's must me." My dad would tell me to leave the mask on, but I pulled it up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the stories, Tabs. I always remember Halloween fondly, especially since I simply adored this beautiful platic mask of a gorgeous woman that I insisted on using year after year after year! Also, I must have been about seven when I went trick or treating and some teenager answered the door and as a trick put a big toad in my paper bag! Needless to say, I didn't discover it until much later and totally freaked!

    Happy Halloween,

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabs, I love your memories!

    I'll never forget Halloweens of my younger days. I lived in the San Fernando Valley (L.A. County/Calif.). We lived 20 minutes from Hollywood & Beverly Hills (not much trafic in those days-probably takes at least an hour these days). My dad would drop me and a few friends off where the celebrities and the rich lived then came back for us two hours later, our bags stuffed with regular size candy bars, not the mini ones. Some gave money. But everything was on a grand scale. For a kid, that was the ultimate, lol.

    It's sad to see Halloween become a worrisome holiday. Very few people give out candy now, and with the scare of the goodies being tampered with, many parents take their kids trick or treating at the mall, or to a party instead of going door to door.

    Thanks for going down memory lane. It's always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabs!!! *hugz* Great memories, enjoyed reading them.

    Happy Trick-or-Treating,
    Kayden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna,
    And thanks for sharing that wonderful memory..Gee, yes, this year is nearly gone. They do seem to bite the dust much faster as we age...lol...Happy Halloween to you and yours....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggie,
    What a wonderful trick...I would never have thought to do something like that to someone...Not me....lol...I can just imagine your face...Once someone put a dead mouse in my smock pocket at work and I totally freaked...and it wasn't even Halloween....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jannine,
    Yes, it is sad that kids can't have the same fun we had as children going door to door...I'm lucky that I still live in enough of a small rural area that kids do still come to our doors and it's safe...so far...but also, people tend to take their kids where they know the neighborhood, but there's nothing like sharing memories...Tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kayden,
    Thanks for dropping by and Happy Trick-or-Treating to you too....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Halloween!!!

    Sounds like you had a lot of great spooktacular memories. :)

    Happy Reading!!!
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna,
    Thanks for stopping by....Yep. lots of spooky fun....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tabitha, Thanks for sharing the fun Halloween stories.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I loved the story of you as a small child frightened by the skeleton. All the Halloween stories have been such fun.

    I don't remember that much about my trick or treating days, but do have fond memories of my kids. I will post a Halloween story on my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm late for the party, as always!

    I enjoyed reading the post.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nancy for stopping by...it was fun dredging up old memories...Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary Ann,
    So glad you dropped in...I don't remember all my Halloweens, but those particular ones stand out in my memory....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Booklover,
    Hey there, you aren't late, glad you made it...thanks for coming by....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  17. And the winner is: Tracey D. If you will email me at mizging@gmail.com with your snail mail, I'll send you one of my 2010 purse-sized calendar/planner for visiting and supporting Tab today. Thanks to all who came. You are so appreciated.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews