Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another Book Review but not for me...

Call Me Duchess by Maggie Dove

Can't decide which genre you like...historical, mystery, suspense, women's fiction?  Then you'll love Call Me Duchess by Maggie Dove because it fits the enjoyment bill on so many levels.  In this novel, you aren't just treated to a hero and a heroine, but an entire dysfunctional family in which a deceased mother leaves three daughters with an irresponsible father whose lust for gambling exceeds his love for the welfare of his girls. With everything of value lost, he unloads his lovely, unwed young ladies on their aunt, leaving them with a list of names and qualifications of appropriate husbands from which dear old dad expects to sponge. 

The quote, "be careful what you wish you," rings very true with young Marguerite Wiggins.  She has her cap set for the Duke of Wallingford since she's adored him forever. Sadly, she unknowingly insults him, believing the voice behind her is the cad who made inappropriate advances.  Ashton James, the man elected as the young ladies' chaperone eventually catches her eye, but he has a secret. He's not the only one.  A rapist is on the loose, and the mystery keeps you turning pages as he shares his dark and foreboding POV throughout the book.

How Ms. Dove managed so many subplots and tied each of them up with the style and talent of a great author leaves me speechless.  The only question still in my mind is why the heck did those English folks back in the day have so many titles and names?  It took a while, but managed to connect title to person and vice a versa.

Every character had a distinct personality, which I loved.  I connected with everyone of them and felt like I was part of the "Season."  If I tell you I stayed awake into the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't put the book down (okay...actually my Kindle), does that tell you how much I enjoyed Call Me Duchess?  Heck, if Maggie Dove wrote a menu, I'd stand in line to read it.

The book is published by Eternal Press.

1 comment:

  1. Ginger,

    I love you! Thank you so much for your wonderful review!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews