Sunday, May 15, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday

Wow, the number of participants is growing.  I've missed the last two weeks, so I'm happy to add my link, but if you notice, duh-uh...I did it wrong. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.  Instead of my name, I entered the blog's name, but welcome anyhow.  Senility reigns here often. *smile*

Today, I'm sharing six sentences from First Degree Innocence again.  Everyone seemed to like the tension of prison.  :)  Just to remind you of the setting.  My heroine, Carrie Lang has been sentenced to prison for a crime she didn't commit.  This is another scene during her "intake" session:

 Once on, the uniform’s baggy fit completely hid all of her feminine attributes, and the accompanying well-worn shoes felt disturbingly strange.  She pictured all the previous feet that had molded the cracking rubber of the brown slip-ons, and an appropriate saying crept through her mind.  Walk a mile in my shoes.  Had prior wearers been this petrified?
 Dampness from her hair spread onto her shirt. She shivered at the coldness of the cement bench, hugged her knees, and waited. 

First Degree Innocence received a 5-cup review from Coffee.  Here's the summary from the reviewer:
This book took me on a wildly emotional ride as I rapidly turned the pages until I had consumed the entire book down to the final satisfying sentence. The story is told in a straight-forward, matter-of-fact way that, for me, makes Carrie’s internal angst all the more powerful and believable. I feel like I was there with her, surrounded by dingy gray walls and cold steel bars. The various character interactions are portrayed realistically. All have well-defined motivations, and it was quite easy for me to picture the on-going action like a movie in my head. Speaking of which, this story would make an awesome movie! Highly Recommended!
Laurie
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Read more exciting "Six Sentences."

   

22 comments:

  1. Really like this, especially the bit about the shoes. Great six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice six and I especially love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worse than bowling shoes! *shudder* Excellent tension in this snippet. Congrats on the wonderful review! But I'm not surprised. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Ginger Simpson writes a story...it will hit home in some kind of way. It may be something you have experienced or knew someone that has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 5 cups!! Very nice imagery and introspection, evokes sympathy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book and I loved it. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walk a mile in my shoes... nice six, love how you captured her fear by describing what she wore! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good description of her reaction to the shoes and the whole scary situation. I enjoyed your six.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evocative use of detail to show emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great six from you. Emotional, dark and well done!

    Best,
    Allure

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this story is so vivid. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, when the character puts on someone else's worn shoes...very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I can see why there wasnt much choice other than 5 cups by reading these few lines. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like an awesome book to put on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you really make that place seem so unappealing. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Walk a mile in her shoes? No thanks. Very emotional scene.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Evokes the character so well in so few lines. Her voice is clear and strong, even through her fear and misery. Excellent six.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lot of good tension in this. I can feel her fear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Took me a few seconds to remember the story. Just as powerful

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is powerful! I shivered while reading. Good job, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the line about the shoes! Very powerful.

    (And I had to mention that your comment on my SSS about needing Depends made me laugh like a drain!)

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews