Saturday, May 14, 2011

Blog Hop Thursday

Today's question, posed by affiliate author, Amy Romine, is:  What do you do with your edits?  Ah....the deadly red pen!

This is a timely question since I just received my first edits on Joy's Revelation, and short story coming later this summer from Muse It Up Publishing.  An author can view edits in one of two ways:
1.  An attack on your writing
2.  The attempt of an editor to help refine your story.

When I first began writing I was definitely a number one person.  How dare someone try to change my words...revise my story.

I soon learned that edits are merely suggestions that might make the story read smoother, correct grammatical errors you might not have noticed, or add more information for the reader's pleasure.

Do I accept every suggestion.  No!  In small publishing companies, many...even most editors are not as versed in the editing business as their title suggests.  Pass a simple test, and you too can be on the other end of the red pen.

My edits are going back with just as many comments as those in the file I received.  If I feel the suggestion changes my voice or style, I balk.  If the noted edit helps enhance my story, then I accept it.  I believe it's important to remember that this is my work and not that of the editor.  Some, I've found, want to substitute my words with words that have the same meaning--some I would never use.

Appreciate the editor's work but don't feel you have to agree with every suggested change.   I've had a few cases where I've known more than the editor.  *grin*

For more answers to today's question, hop on over to An_Alternative_Read and click the link to other blogs.

7 comments:

  1. I like your comments, Ginger, and I feel that's the way it ought to be. Sad to say that sometimes when the author balks, they won't publish the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the comments, too. I don't make every change my editor suggests either, for one thing, I write mostly series, and sometimes the things that maybe don't make sense to the editor are things that are going to be important in the next book or following books. Since I'm the author, I'm the only who knows if I need that red lined work deleted or not. I use what I can, and as commented, send back as many suggestions to my editor as I received. After all, we both want the same thing, for the book to be as polished as possible before it's published...Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a good experience with my editors. I don't always agree with them, and in the end, it's always been my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing the Tracker red ink all over my "perfect" ms gave me such a shock. It was my first experience and it brought me to my knees. Then when I looked over the suggestions and discussed changes with my editor, I saw that she and I were on the same page..to make this book the best story it can be for the reader. Needless to say, I learned a lot about writing AND publishing with that first edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger, how alike our minds are. LOL Well said, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree. You can't change the story to change your voice. But I've been super lucky to have a great editor. thanks for sharing.
    C.K. Volnek

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews