Monday, May 9, 2011

Interview with Sarah Collins – Sarah’s Journey


HOST: Today our guest is Sarah Collins, the heroine in Ginger Simpson's Sarah's Journey. Sarah, it's very nice to have you with us.

Sarah: Thank you. I'm actually glad to be anywhere after the harrowing journey I had.

HOST: Oh, do tell us about it. Our reader's love historical romance novels.

Sarah: Ginger's latest book isn't a romance per se. It falls more along the lines of an "Americana". There's a romantic faction involved and it's peppered with historical facts, but it's really more about me and my struggles--trying to overcome the hatred and prejudice that existed in the old west.

HOST: Unfortunately, we still have some of those problems even today.

Sarah: That's very true. The roots of unkindness run very deep, and often for no real reason. I got a very good dose of unfounded hatred in Sarah's Journey.

HOST: How so?

Sarah: Let me start from the beginning. *cups her chin and sighs*. My parents both died from Typhoid fever and I had no relatives left in Hannibal. Let's just say the banker wasn't at all helpful, and tried to barter to make me his wife in order to save Papa's land. I decided it wasn't worth it, so I sold everything in the barn and a large part of what was in the house. I kept only what I thought I'd need to make a new start. I used the money from the sales to buy a wagon and team then joined a train set for California.

HOST: That seems brave for a single woman. Traveling such a long way, much less handling a team isn't an easy feat.

Sarah: I guess I should have mentioned I found a very nice man to be my driver. Actually, I gave very little thought to danger; I was more excited about seeing a new place and letting go of bad memories.

HOST: Tell us more, please.

Sarah: The wagon master and the other folks traveling with him seemed very nice. I felt safe traveling with the group, and I quickly became fond of Molly. We spent lots of time together, walking alongside the train and talking about our futures. We had such great plans and I never suspected *pauses and wipes a tear*...

HOST:
Suspected what?

Sarah: That Indians would attack the train and kill everyone. I don't know how I survived. *lowers gaze to the floor*.

HOST:
I can see this is very painful for you. Don't feel you have to continue.

Sarah: Oh, it's all right. I'm very lucky to be here. I tried to save Molly, but I didn't have enough medical knowledge or even tools. It was bad enough to lose her friendship, but then I realized I was truly all alone in the middle of nowhere with no idea what to do.

HOST: Oh, my gosh, what did you do?

Sarah: Luckily, I kept my wits about me. I realized that going back the way we came made more sense than heading in an unknown direction. The problem: The Indians took all our livestock and food.

HOST: How in the world did you survive without food?

Sarah: My Ma taught me a lot about roots, berries and such. I had no doubt I could find plenty to eat, and eventually, water. I filled what canteens I found, took just enough extra clothing to keep me warm at night, then set off. I had to leave in case the Indians came back again. Dealing with the coyotes and buzzards was already more than I could handle.

HOST:
So, did you travel all the way back to where the train started?

Sarah: Ginger will have my head if I give away too much of the story. Let me just say that after everything else I'd been through, I got bit by a gol-darned rattlesnake. I thought for sure I was a goner, but a very handsome, and I hate to use this term, 'half-breed', saved me. You'd think I would have been overcome with glee, but I was eaten up with guilt because I realized he was the same person I'd left for dead when I tried to steal his horse. It's a long story, but you'll have to read Sarah's Journey to find out more.

HOST: Well, I'm going to have to read it. I can't stand being left hanging like that, but I understand you can't share more. Can you just give us a hint what happened after he saved you?

Sarah: One more little tidbit and that's it. Wolf promised to take me to Independence and introduce me to a friend of his. That's where I ended up. Wolf, too. Now, that's absolutely all I'm going to divulge. *giggles*

HOST: Well, I won't press for more. I do thank you for being here and taking time to share a little about your journey. I can't wait to read it.

Sarah:
It's available at Eternal Press (http://www.eternalpress.biz in download format and on Amazon in print. I do have to warn you, it's not your typical 'happily ever after' ending. Don't you just get so tired of authors being so predictable?

HOST:
Now you have me hooked for sure. I'll be looking for your story. Thanks again, Sarah.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews