Friday, November 11, 2011

Welcome, Rachel Brimble


 I'd like to welcome Rachel to Dishin' It Out.  We've put together a few questions and answers so readers can better get to know her.

1)   Are you on track to meet your goals this year and do you have any for 2012?

I love goals! I am a goal fanatic. I work better under pressure than any other time so I tend to set weekly, monthly and yearly goals to keep me focused. I am happy to say I will achieve all my 2011 goals by the end of November which were write three novels and get an agent. I know, nothing too taxing then!

I secured a fabulous agent in March so that was fantastic and two of the three books are already with her. Book number three will be done by the end of November so I am really pleased. My goals for 2012 are less than 2011 because my books are likely to be longer as requested by my agent! Therefore, the goal is simple – two 90,000 word novels.

2)   Where would you like your career to be in five years?

I’d love to be self-sufficient through my writing. That is my ultimate goal. I don’t necessarily need the millions (although it would be nice!), but what I would like is to think I could support my children and myself just through my writing. That would be fantastic!

3)   Best thing you have learned from an agent/editor?

I can answer that question for both –

Editor – Know your characters backstories inside out. This is massive because it is the essence of who they are and why they make the decisions they do today. Whatever happens to us from childhood to adulthood shapes who were are in any given moment. Knowing your characters provides their motivation and ultimately their stories.

Agent – She has taught what polishing a manuscript REALLY means! My writing has honestly never been as good as it is now. I cannot wait for the release of my next book. I am very, very proud of it.

4)   What surprised you the most once you became published?

The time spent on promotion, definitely. It takes up a lot of time but it is also essential part of your future success. There was a time I got sucked into too much promotion which meant I was not producing any new work. DO NOT make the same mistake.
Now I figure out how much writing I have each day and limit myself to a quarter dedicate to promo, the rest creativity. It works!

5)   Tell us about your latest release…

It is a contemporary romance set against the gritty underworld of the UK nightclubs and pubs. Here’s the blurb:

Nightclub manager Grace Butler is on a mission to buy the pub where her
mother's ashes are scattered but the owner wants to sell to anyone but her. And that owner happens to be her father...who has a secret she
will do anything to discover.

Social worker and all around good guy Jimmy Betts needs funds to buy a
house for three special kids before their care home closes. Time is running out
and he's desperate for cash. He agrees to a one-time 'job' for bad-man
Karl Butler. But in a sudden turn of events, Jimmy finds himself employed by
Karl's beautiful, funny and incredibly sexy daughter, Grace. Their lives couldn't be more different, yet one thread binds them: they're both trying to escape the bonds of their fathers. Maybe the only way they'll be free is by being together, instead of alone.


6)   What are you working on right now?

I am coming to the very end of book number nine which is a sexy contemporary romance with a huge dollop of humor. I am LOVING writing this book! Totally in love with the hero and want the heroine to be my best friend forever.

It is set in a small town in South West England and about a woman who wants to move her sexy lingerie and toyshop into her home after her business rate goes through the roof. That’s fine. If her new hunky neighbor hadn’t just moved in next door with his two young and very impressionable four-year-old twin girls.  He is far from happy…

For more about Rachel, visit her website.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on meeting your goals! That in it's self is a great accomplishment. Also, congrats on your novels. Your blurb sounds interesting!

    You second goal is one I share. I would love to be able to support my family on my writing alone. It would be wonderful to do what I LOVE and be self sufficient, too.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Michelle
    Author of Concilium, available July 2012
    Concilium: The Departure, November 2012

    www.Michelle-Pickett.com
    www.Conciliumbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many congrats on reaching your goals for 2011, Rachel! I have to admire you.

    I'm hopeless with goals (free-spirited Sagittarian that I am!) but at least I've learnt to stick to deadlines.

    Good luck with your latest release. I just finished reading your historical, The Arrival of Lily Curtis, and thought it was fabulous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, this is fantastic! What an accomplishment. One certainly to admire and strive for. Best wishes for success. Sounds like a wonderful book as well packed with deep emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, ladies!

    Thanks so much for stopping by - I am already thinking about my goals for next year with trepidation. Life often gets in the way and I know I sometimes stretch myself a bit too far but hey, it's worth fighting for sometimes, lol!

    Glad you enjoyed 'Lily', Cathie! :)

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews