Thursday, February 2, 2012

Girl Out of Time!


“Is that a broadsword on your belt, or are you just glad to see me?”
Melodie Campbell

What happens when you take a modern-day college prof from sunny Arizona and throw her back into medieval times?  A whole lot of laughs!

At least, that’s the way I designed Rowena Through the Wall, the comic time travel novel that Midwest Book Review described as “Hot and Hilarious!”

I’m a former comedy writer who loves to write humorous fiction. Here’s how I do it: I call it the law of the ‘worst thing’.  Take a situation, and ask ‘what’s the worst thing that could happen now’?  Or the most embarrassing thing?  Example:  A seventeen year old girl moves to a new town and is the new girl.  First day of school, very nervous, she drives her mother’s car into the school parking lot.  What’s the most embarrassing thing that could happen?  She hits another car in the lot with everyone watching.  And the worst thing?  It’s the prize car of the most popular boy in school.  Whammo.  Instant disaster.  Later, she’s driving home on a country road, and her car breaks down.  Who comes by in the next car, and stops to help?  The same guy.  He can’t believe it’s her.  She wants to die of embarrassment.  They never stand a chance as a couple, right?

Move it to an adult romance novel.  The new girl at the advertising agency drives into the company parking lot on the very first day and hits the gorgeous eligible bachelor’s new car…you get the drift.

In Rowena Through the Wall, I followed the ‘worst thing’ rule to the maximum.  What’s the worst thing that could happen to Rowena when she walks through that wall into medieval times?  Or the wackiest?  Rowena goes through lots of ‘worst things’ until she finally gets the man she wants in the last chapter.  But even then, I couldn’t resist a twist on the last page.  After all, there is a sequel coming.

ROWENA THROUGH THE WALL (No. 2 on Amazon.ca bestseller list, Aug 2011!  (fantasy,futuristic)


When Rowena falls through her classroom wall into a medieval world, she doesn’t count on being kidnapped – not once, but twice, dammit. Unwanted husbands keep piling up; not only that, she has eighteen-year-old Kendra to look out for, and a war to prevent.  Good thing she can go back through the wall when she needs to…or can she?


Short Excerpt:                                    Chapter 16

“How did you do that?”  Kendra gasped.
            “Do what?”
            “I just saw you walk right through that wall!”
            “Oh that….” I said, brushing myself off.  “Look sweetie, not to change the subject, but I don’t have a whole lot of time-”
            “And who is that?”
Kendra gaped at Logan, who stood at least a foot taller than her.  He, in turn, gazed down at her as if he had just discovered the meaning of life, the universe and everything that might possibly be in it.
            “Damn,” I mumbled.  “Kendra – Logan, Logan – Kendra.  Now that we’re all introduced, I really have to hustle.”
            Kendra’s eyes widened.  “Is he for real?”
            “Yes, yes, he’s real,” I said, lowering my voice. “ Kendra, I have to whip home for my vet bag.  It would be easier without him along.  Can you keep him here? I’ll only be 20 minutes.”
            “Sure, but how?”  She could hardly take her eyes off him.
            “I don’t know…flirt with him or something.  But don’t let him leave this classroom.  Got it?”
            She gulped.  “Okay.”
            I ran to the desk and grabbed my car keys.  Just as I reached the exit, I heard Kendra say, “So…is that a broadsword on your belt or are you just glad to see me?”

Melodie Campbell’s comic novel Rowena Through the Wall (Imajin Books) is available at Amazon, Smashwords, Indigo/Chapters, B&N
View trailer and read opening scene at
Follow Melodie’s comic blog at www.funnygirlmelodie.blogspot.com

Melodie Campbell got her start as a comedy writer, so it’s no surprise that editors have called her work ‘wacky’ and ‘laugh out loud funny’.  She has over 200 publications, including 100 humour columns, 30 short stories and one novel (two more coming in 2012).  She has received six awards for fiction, and is the General Manager of Crime Writers of Canada.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews