Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Happy Birthday to my Oldest!!!

How does it happen that a child becomes older than we think we are?  Today is my first-born's birthday.  Although he was due on March 17th, he made me wait another entire month and a day to make his appearance. If one more person had asked if I was "still pregnant," I think I would have killed someone.

Scott, or Skid as he prefers to be called,  weighed in at 9 lbs 9 ozs and was 22 1/2 inches long.  He went from being the biggest baby in the nursery to the first punk rocker in a redneck town, and I'm reminded of a poem I wrote for him in September 1988, that I'm going to share here so he can see that my feelings for him have grown with each passing year.

Life is What You Make It by Ginger Simpson

When you were little, you were my pride and joy.
While I'd wanted a daughter, God gave me a boy.

 I couldn't have been happier, you were ALL things to me,
And, I didn't fully realize how special you'd be.

Though sometimes were rough, quite often a "bummer,"
You, it appeared, had your own special drummer.

While you moved and marched at your own special pace,
I loved the contentment I saw on your face.

You knew your own visions, your aims and your dreams,
and my worries what others thought were wasted, it seems.

From you I learned and can finally see;
There's a lot to the song title, "I Gotta Be Me."

If you first please yourself and know you're okay,
You never have to worry what others may say.

You're special, my Scott...unlike any other,
Life's reward for me has been being your mother.

Happy Birthday, my sweet boy.  I love you more than words can say.




3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your oldest. May the day bring many wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a such a lovely poem and tribute to your unique son, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, Ladies and for wishing my son a happy day. As for me...I just realized how very old I am. *lol*

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews