Monday, June 11, 2012

WE ALL PROCRASTINATE!


     Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week. What a great line for all those people who say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” And as we know, most times tomorrow never comes.
     Why is it there are so many things we need to do or get done and we just don’t have the time to do it all?  Or are we just procrastinating? 
     We are busy – yes! But we also delay . . . put-off . . . dawdle . . . and just plain feel lazy sometimes. It seems easier to get busy and so something else because the project we are facing just seems too mammoth to tackle.
     Let’s be honest – whatever the project –we all could use some helpful tips on how to stop making excuses – and get those tasks done today!
1.           Stop for a moment and ask - Why are you putting this project off?  You know there has to be a reason. Is it boring? Is it too big a job and just the thought of starting is enough to make you run in the other direction? Maybe the project will surface emotions you don’t wish to face?  People procrastinate for various reasons. Do you know your reasons?  Understanding why – just might create the solution and stop you from procrastinating.
2.           Some people never tackle a project because it’s truly not that big of a deal. Maybe you really don’t need to tackle a project – because it’s not import to finish. Then you might ask yourself, instead of stressing over the incomplete project – should it be done in the first place. Get rid of it and cross it off your to-do list.
3.           Did you ever think of asking for help?  You love helping others when they need help – right? Don’t you think others might like to help you, too?  If a project on your list is just too big to handle alone ask a family member or a good friend to help. It’ll be a lot of fun to share the time with someone – and you’re making good memories. A comment here and there and you’ll be laughing up a storm together - plus the project will be done before you know it.
4.           I call it baby steps. When a large project needs just your attention – starting can be daunting . . . or let’s face it downright frightening. Consider this, begin using baby steps. Don’t think you have to tackle every part of your project all at once.  Heck I’d be running in the other direction, too. Give yourself thirty minutes at the end of Monday through Friday. (Reward yourself with the weekend off.)
     Give yourself a good direction what you will want to finish in that thirty minutes. Getting started is the hardest decision of any to-do project. There will be days when you’ll feel like doing even more than the thirty minutes because it’s going so well. It’s getting started and committing the time to do it that counts.
5.      Now comes the hard part for so many of us. Focus that commitment to the end. Visualize what it will look like when you’re done. How will you feel? Think of a reward to give yourself when the project is completed – that will motivate you! Just know that when you are done – you will be so proud of yourself.
           We’re done talking about it. You have a plan. You’ve made the commitment. Remember, getting started will take will take the most effort.
a.       Ask why you are putting the project off – and decide if your project needs doing.
b.      Schedule your starting time.
c.       Make a commitment.
d.      Start with baby steps.
e.       Visualize the completed project
f.       Ask for help if you need it.
g.      Focus until the end.
h.      Reward yourself for a job well done!

     There’s nothing to it. After you tackle the first item on your ‘to-do list’ . . . head straight to the list and enjoy a rewarding check-mark in the ‘completed’ box.  Now you’re ready to start all over and tackle the next item on the list.  Procrastination?  What’s that??

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Rita! You're so right about there usually being a reason for procrastination (other than not enough time). I find myself looking for excuses not to tackle the tasks that I really don't want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisabet . . . I think that is human nature - there must be something that needs my attention than a project I don't want to face or tackle. When it came to writing - I had to make sure things were in order - or I couldn't concentrate. It's taken me years to realize, everything will NEVER be in order. There is always something that needs my attention. That's when I created a 'writing schedule' and boom . . .I started writing like a crazed woman! I decided my writing is something I do for me, and I deserve it. I'm on book 12...so I guess it's working!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Lisabet - I think we are all like that . . . it's hard to do what we know we should be doing . . . but I always feel so good about myself when I do keep on track and reach my goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I think it's pure laziness on my part. But you gals are right, and I reach most of my goals, albeit when I work up the energy. My writing seems to be the last very important goal I work on. Why? There is only 24 hours in a day. Lordy, I wish there were more. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Lorrie . . . and there are some TV shows I love to watch and deserve that 'down time' to relax and enjoy them. So I tape them (like Duets, American Idol, So you Think You Can Dance, etc.) I write from 6:00pm to 9:00pm... then I relax and unwind from 9:00-11:00pm ... which is my drop dead time to get to bed (or I'd be up until 3:00am ... like I used to do)... when I can fast-forward thru those advertisements...yippee. 6:30am comes mighty fast when working full-time, too! :) Rita

      Delete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews