Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Positive Attitude and Goal Setting



     I will be giving a presentation on Positive Attitude and Goal Setting at the Montana Romance Writers of America writing workshop in Fairmont Hot Springs in September.  I thought I would share that presentation with you in segments during my blogging time here at Dishin’ It Out!  If you have comments, please share them . . . I hope you enjoy this presentation . . . Smile!  Rita

     Hi, everyone, my name is Rita Karnopp and I so happy to be here with all of you today.  It has been a life-long goal of mine to be a published author.  I imagined what my cover would look like with my name on it.  If you are a published author you know the thrill of that first book . . . if you’re not published – you have an incredible thrill you won’t ever forget awaiting you!  I’m a successful author with Books We Love. It’s with great pride and satisfaction to share that I have eleven eBooks published at Amazon.com and two of them in print.
     When I was president for two years for a gold panner’s club, in Lincoln, I always started and ended each meeting with a joke. Soon I realized they looked forward to them. What I really was doing was setting the ‘attitude’ of the meeting. So let me set the ‘attitude’ for the next hour . . .
     Two bowling teams, one of all Blondes and one of all Brunettes, charter a double-Decker bus for a weekend trip to Louisiana.  The Brunette team rode on the bottom of the bus, and the Blonde team rode on the top level.
     The Brunette team down below really whooped it up, having a great time, when one of them realized she hadn't heard anything from the Blondes upstairs.  She decided to go up and investigate.
     When the Brunette reached the top, she found all the Blondes in fear, staring straight ahead at the road, clutching the seats in front of them with white knuckles.
     The brunette asked, 'What the heck's going on up here?  We're having a great time downstairs!'
     One of the Blondes looked up at her, swallowed hard and whispered, 'YEAH SURE, YOU'VE GOT A DRIVER'

A Positive Attitude is a Choice – Choose Wisely!
     Few people believe that their attitude is their own choice. For most people, their attitude depends upon other people and circumstances. If people are nice to them, then they have a good attitude. If circumstances are favorable, they are in a good mood.
     On the other hand, if someone treats them unfairly, then they have a bad attitude. If the circumstances are not favorable, they are in a bad mood.
     Most people fail to realize that their attitude and their mood are really their own choice. Let me give you a silly example…something I recently read in an email.
     A little old lady went to the mirror one morning and noticed that she had only three hairs on her head. As she looked into the mirror, she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." That's exactly what she did. And, she had a great day.
     The next morning, at the mirror once again, the little old lady noticed that she only had two hairs on her head. Looking herself right in the eye, she said, "Today, I think I'll part my hair down the middle." That's exactly what she did. And, she had a great day.
     The next day, as the little old lady looked into the mirror, there was only one hair on her head. She looked at that one lonely hair and said, "Today I think I'll wear my hair in a ponytail." That's exactly what she did. And she had a great day.
     The following morning the little old lady looked into the mirror and there wasn't a single hair on her head. Her eyes lit up, and she said, "Yeah! I don't have to fix my hair today!"
     Your attitude is your choice.  -  Now, if you're a lady, please don't let this illustration shake you up too much, okay? I am quite aware that in our culture bald men are considered more attractive than bald women. In fact, I thought about that when I first read this story in the email. I wondered why they used the example of a woman in the story.
     But the more I thought about it, the more I saw how much more powerful and dramatic this example is with a woman! The whole point of the illustration is all about attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews