Saturday, September 21, 2024

Writing in a Whole New Genre- (Pros/Cons) My Personal Experience By Connie Vines #Writing Tips, #Round Robin, #New Genre vs Established Readership

 Topic:  The Wisdom and or Experience of Trying a Whole New Genre    

Thank you, Skye, for this month's topic.


I began my career writing nonfiction, short stories, and preschool games in magazines (Humpty Dumpty, Jr. Medical Detective, etc.). So, it was only natural to branch out into Y.A. historical fiction.

I assumed it would require extensive research, travel, and interviews.  

The challenge was adding more. More descriptions, additional characters, multiple plot lines, plot twists, etc. In other words, a storyline that was not linear. 

Historical documents, interviews with tribal storytellers, and interviews with those who attended Native American boarding schools.

This also required adapting my story to the reading levels of the Y.A. readership and their understanding of what I was explaining: the sensory details, the harshness of life, and the meals prepared. Was the information relatable to a child who watched television and had a microwave oven? 

I was blessed with beautiful book reviews and student letters.

I was proud of the book and its recognition: awards for historical accuracy, "Teen Read Selection" in Public Libraries, the G.A.T.E. program, and speaking engagements in Southern California.

Will I attempt another Y.A. historical novel? Probably not. 

This project was a five-year journey. The most discouraging part was the shrinking of the hardbound/paperback publishers. I signed a contract for a hardbound novel, but the editor pulled it when he learned the company was being sold. (I discovered later that he did me a huge favor).  

   

Spanish Version


English Version

The next growing market was women's fiction. I selected Contemporary Romance.

Did I hesitate? No, I decided to dive in. 

Setting? 

I have all this Western research material. My father's people were Texans, and I enjoyed Bull Riding events. My hero was a cowboy. My heroine lived in Montana; her late father was a Bronc Rider.

My plot, characters, subplots, setting, etc. I'm at the keyboard after the kids are in bed, writing chapters one, two, and three.

I reread and reread the chapters.

Something needs to be fixed.

This was the kicker. I knew something was wrong but did not know precisely what it was.

Was the flow? Word choices? Pacing? Or was it the tone?

I was residing in "The-Land-of-in- Between." And I need an intervention! 

Fortunately, I joined a critique with members of my local R.W.A. Chapter. We wrote in multiple genres (though I was the only one who started out in children's). We read each other's chapters, made suggestions, and brought revisions the following week.

I garnered a few rejections, made changes, and sent the story out again.

Then I received that "Phone Call" in February, and the book was released in July!

This book received multiple awards and excellent reviews.



Will I change genres again? I've branched out into Romantic Suspense, RomCom/Paranormal. At the moment, I'm writing several novellas, and I've begun another romance series. I may write a Cozy Mystery novel or a Western Gothic (only if I don't cause myself to experience nightmares!)

The emerging genres seem to be Worldbuilding, Horror, "Bad Mothers," Science Fiction, Western Gothic, Foodie Romance, and Fratito. However, this could change next month.

If you want to write in a new genre, look into it. Examine the market and see what is trending. If you are selling novels and have a following, you're good. 

If you still want to change, consider a nome-de-plum. And see how it goes.

Good Luck & Happy Reading,
Connie 
XOXO

Follow the links! These Talented Authors have much to share!!



Connie Vines (you are here)













  
 












2 comments:

  1. I am glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to check out the grass on the other side of the fence from time to time. I agree that critique groups are a godsend. I have one and they help with sagging middles, missing plot points and helping with character development and so much more - especially when I face a brick wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a book called If Wishes Were Horses for my daughter. It was supposed to be for her 13th birthday, but as I'd never written a book before, I had no idea how long it would take me. I delivered it for her 15th birthday. Comments ranged from 'are you going to get it published?' to 'what made you think you could write a book?' The getting published bit was a stretch as there were so many horse and pony books for girls available at that time, many of them written by professional horsemen/women. I did, however, get positive feedback from the four publishing houses I submitted it to. Wish I still had those letters! I didn't start writing seriously until much later in life, but I'm no Barbara Cartlan dictating to a secretary, so it still takes me some time to finish a book!

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews