Saturday, October 19, 2024

Authors--Traditional or Indie? Publishing Wins and Pitfalls By Connie Vines #Round Robin Blog Hop, #WritingTips


October Round Robin Topic: Indie or Traditional Publishing?
Pros and Cons.
Like many authors, my writing has evolved but has also changed to accommodate the publishing industry.

Once upon a time...
I wrote nonfiction articles for children's magazines, short stories, flash fiction, and stand novellas.

Later, I branched into YA/Middle School Historical fiction. Western Romance, RomCom, and Romantic Suspense.

All of these markets were "Traditional".

I am currently contracted with a Traditional publisher. My books are marketed as ebooks and in trade paperback to accommodate the reader market. 

I am comfortable with the traditional market platform. 

Why? Because an editor does a final read of my manuscript and will adjust my formatting if needed. 
(Yes, I understand HTML. But it's a left-brain function. If I am left-braining, I have zero access to the creative side of my brain.) 😕😢

We share promotion responsibility and watch market trends. (I like to write what I want, but that is not a key to success.) 

Most importantly, I have input for my book cover, but I do not have to design one. 





Indie Publishing: 

Have I ventured into the world of Indie Publishing? Yes, though not solo.

I have been involved in numerous anthologies. A common location, characters who interact with each other (to a limited extent). A defined genre: romance, mystery, etc. 

The promo is extensive. The timeline is short, and the word count is predetermined.

Limited meetings via text, short phone time, or a designated FB room to keep up-to-date work well for me. 

I'm an introvert. Intense interaction with others, even via weekly or daily Zoom meetings, is physically draining. Especially when I'm required to change what was already agreed upon. 😕😖

Plus side?

The marketing/promo is divided among the members.
Pre-release and early release are effective ways to garner readers and build momentum. 

The way to publish is a personal decision.
It is defined by an author's personality, writing style, willingness to promote, and love of accounting and tracking sales results.

Happy Writing and Reading,
XOXO

Connie Vines

Please hop to the next Blog...where another member has his/her story to share :)


 Connie Vines (you are here)

 Bob Rich

Diane Bator

Victoria Chatham

Skye Taylor


3 comments:

  1. As I mentioned in my post - I would jump at a chance to work with a traditional publisher again for all the reasons you mention. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment, 'The way to publish is a personal decision.' Early on, I remember some authors being so wound up in self-publishing as the only way to go that they almost spit nails if anyone around them mentioned trad publishing. So silly. It's like diets, or one size fits all. Nooo. Not at all. Each to his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connie, having your work edited is one of the biggest benefits of trad publishing. I do a lot of editing for indie authors. Indie authors have to pay for an edit, but the trade-off is that they take all the royalties on sales. I agree with yours and Victoria's comment that publishing is a personal decision, and we all find the one that works best for us.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews