Friday, March 7, 2014

The Competition

  • Mike Reiss
    Television Writer
  • Michael "Mike" L. Reiss is an American television comedy writer. He served as a show-runner, writer and producer for the animated series The Simpsons and co-created the animated series The Critic. Wikipedia
  • BornSeptember 15, 1959 (age 54), Bristol, CT
  •  I'm amazed at how many authors join the ranks every single day.  Back when I started, I had a few loyal fans, but now even those fans are authors and I'm hoping other reader's have filled their slots. You could get a review from a legitimate site in just a few weeks instead of waiting for years, and people knew your name.

     If you read my blog often, you already know I love Reader's Digest, and today I'm quoting from an article that appeared, written my Mike Reiss and entitled, "I'm a Non-Celebrity--Buy My Book."

    He starts out by stating he's written seventeen children's books and the toughest part is competing with all the "famous" people who've also written books for kids...people like Queen Latifah, Sarah Ferguson, Julie Andrews, Judy Collins, Kathie Lee Gifford and Jamie Lee Curtis.  Even John Travolta and Madonna.  He claims his book, listed alphabetically in stores, is 'sandwiched' between Carl Reiner and LeAnn Rimes.  *lol*

    He asks a very valid question, but I'm sure I know the answer.  Why are celebrities writing kid's books?  Jay Leno, who earns millions a year, owns 460 cars and 89 motorcycles certainly doesn't do it for the money, nor does Jerry Seinfield, Neil Sedaka or Steve Martin.

    The answer, I believe, lies within the soul of each of us who loves to write.  I certainly didn't start writing for the money, although I have to admit that getting a royalty amount that buys more than a McDonald's Happy Meal is a treat.   The Kindle has made a great big difference for those of us who write romantic fiction for the women of the world who still like to dream, but I still haven't figured out exactly how we compete.

    If you name a way to promote myself, I'm pretty sure I've tried it, but with the growing number of authors who traditionally publish every day...and now those who self-publish, most of us continue to be lost in the ocean of new names and titles.

    Any new ideas?  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Romance Reviews

    The Romance Reviews