Saturday, October 25, 2008

Redistribtuion of Wealth


While I try not to discuss politics on my blog because of the varied opinions, I couldn't resist passing along this email I received. I can't attest to the validity of the claim, but the concept seemed very appropriate. It seems both candidates are 'writing checks their asses can't cash.' If I had worked long and hard, had the good fortune to amass a large sum of money and finally reached a stage in my life where I could enjoy the fruit of my labors...I have to tell you, I would be sorely pissed if I reached in my pocket and found the government's hand freely doling out my hard-earned dollars to those who make welfare their livelihood. And yes, aside from the unfortunate souls who find themselves needing assistance, there are millions who sit idle and let the tax-payers foot the bill. But...if we reduce taxes to all those who make less then $250,000 yearly, I guess the money will have to come from somewhere. I guess the saying about politicians is true..."If their lips are moving, they're lying." But, I digress...AGAIN. On to the email I wanted to share:

Conceptual Test launch on redistribution of wealth:

Today at lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed.

In the restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie. Again I laughed as he had given away his political preference--just imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was grateful.

At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the actual recipient needed the money more.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews