Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rummage Sales

First, I want to thank Ginger for letting me post here. Second, let me tell you something about myself. I write for children and have been published twice on the web. I live in central Pennsylvania which is a beautiful area!

I just love working rummage sales. I know getting the things to sell is a lot of work but it's really worth it. Some of the things you see or hear there are priceless!

One year my apartment building had one and I set up a table. I had a cheap little camera for sale for 25 cents and a little boy came up to check it out. He couldn't have been more than five or six years old. The camera was one of those things that you see on the back of a credit card payment envelope where you only pay shipping and handling.

His Mom had given him a quarter to buy himself something. When she saw him looking at the camera, she came over and explained that if he bought it he wouldn't have money for anything else. Then she gently guided him over to the table where they were selling brand new Avon.

The little boy kept looking over his shoulder at the camera. You could almost see him drooling! Finally, he did slip away and came back to my table clutching his quarter. He was trying to act oh so grown up! He picked the camera up and asked how much it was. I answered 25 cents. He told me that he didn't have that much. "I only have a quarter," he told me. So, I told him that he had more than enough and that he'd even get change. By then the 'softy' in me had come out. I told him it didn't take any batteries or a flash. I explained that it only takes outdoor pictures.

The boy, still trying to act all grown up, looked the camera over going, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm."

It ended up with him buying the camera and me giving him change. I had the directions to the camera so I gave them to him too. Then I asked him, "Would you like a bag for that, sir?" He did.

He proudly helped me put it in the bag and went strutting away to show his Mom his purchase.

I just love it when kids buy something off of me! Some of the things they do or tell you are priceless!

Deb Hockenberry
http://thebumpyroadtopublishing.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Where in central PA? My husband is finishing his doctorate at Penn State. I spent the last 5 years hanging out in State College. Before that, I was in Lewisburg at Bucknell University. Now I'm in the Poconos. Go Lions!

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews