Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I can't sleep! It's 2:39 AM and I've tossed and turned until I've practically worn the hair off both sides of my head. I've tried three times, but I keep ending up back out here at the computer so that I don't disturb my hubby. I hate nights like these, and although I don't have them often, they're a nuisance. You know what I mean...you keep staring at the clock and watching the minutes tick by at an amazingly slow speed. Your eyes hurt from peering into the darkness, and if you lay there another minute, you're going to scream. There's nothing you can do but get up.So, what else has made me want to scream today? Let's see.

Annoyance #1: How about the fact that most of the television stations have started featuring writing on the corner of the screen. I guess the commercials that advertising the coming attractions aren't enough. Now we have to watch or programs through script. And as if that isn't enough, some even have little characters rise up out of the corner and skitter across the screen. How annoying can they be? I was watching Law and Order and Monk appeared, dusted himself off and put on a little mini-show about his series. Give me a break, people. If I want to watch Monk, I'll tune in.

Annoyance #2: Spiders. Cold weather seems to drive them inside. We have more than our share of those ugly jumping cricket spiders. I hate them!!! I can handle bugs, I just really dislike ones that jump.

Annoyance #3: Feeling like I have a bladder infection. It's been a long time since I've had one, but I can feel it coming on. I've been to the bathroom twenty times and what should be a trickle is a drip. Now I have to go the store and get some cranberry juice before it becomes a full-blown problem. I'll also get some of that wonderful medicine that turns your urine bright orange. Love that!

Annoyance #4: Hearing that the Romance Writers of America (RWA) are badmouthing internet-published authors again. I received this email a few days ago:

Good Morning,
I am putting together a response to the RWA President's recent column in the RWR. Once again, e-pubb's have been downgraded as an unprofessional outlet for authors.
I want to strike RWA where it hurts..the pocketbook. I am taking polls on all of my loops and if ya'll are on other loops as well, please direct your fellow e-pubbed
RWA members to my website, www.taranina.com
Tell them to join my Yahoo group Tara's Oasis and then they can fill out the database there or they can e-mail me directly at tara@taranina.com
I am an RWA member and I've had it with the consistent jabs at my being a 'non-professional' writer because I'm not in a 'Big' house. I think if we band together and show them just how many of the RWA community are e-pubbed and show them just how much money they stand to loose should the e-pubbed professional authors
chose to leave their snubbing society then they may have to re-think their position. I do not intend to publish names with this article. I'm just trying to acquire an idea of how many of us there are out there. I think their membership is between 9,000 to 10,000. I'd really like to know how many of us there are in that total.
Thanks for your help.


A while back, RWA started granting 'recognition' to certain e-publishers they felt achieved noteworthy stature. I assumed this was a good sign, but if the foregoing information is accurate, it was actually more of an empty gesture. I'm appalled that RWA feels the need to trample on the accomplishments of those of us published by small press. I hope Tara is successful in getting the information she needs.

Okay...big yawn. Time to try again. Wish me luck! And, feel free to list your annoyances. I hate to bitch alone.

2 comments:

  1. You know what really annoys me? People who don't know the difference between the words "lose" and "loose". "Lose" is the correct word to use in a sentence, such as "I hope I never again lose my dictionary" or in an action phrase like "I am losing my ability to spell correctly". "Loose" can be used in the following way: "My pants are loose" or as an adverb, as in "I am loosly affiliated with other romance writers". There may be a word "loosing" but I've never seen it used. It amazes me that Fox News, newspapers and even published books make this mistake...all after being edited. Appears that the lady who sent the email about being dissed by the writers group lost her dictionary. Spell check can only do so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My pants are loose"? I didnt read the entire blog, but if this is my beloved Aunt Ging we are talking about, that is Definitely not the case...

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews