Monday, October 22, 2012

Grammar Ain’t What It Used to be!


    Could of, what is that?  Did they mean could’ve (a contraction of could have)?

·         Irregardless  (even my computer doesn’t like this one, and I will not be “adding it to the computer’s dictionary).  Irregardless is not a word, the correct word is REGARDLESS, it probably came from the words respective and irrespective.  I even had a colleague that graduated college summa cum laude; argue with me saying “It is a word because it is in the dictionary.” After I pointed out that the dictionary defines the word as used in jest and/or “non-standard, use of regardless”, he continued to use irregardless.  The bad news is people can add it to the dictionary on their computer- isn’t that special!
Really? Unless your ramblings are intentionally illiterate, you should never say or write, “Me and my brother,” “Her and I,” “we was,” or “She don’t.”  “But I often see “myself” instead of “me”. Wrong: “She gave the book to John and myself”.   Right: “She gave the book to John and me”.  If John were gone, you’d say, “She gave the book to me”.  Wouldn’t you?      I just read a book the other day where the character said, “Me and my sister went shopping.”  REALLY??
·         This next one bothers me the most.  Incidentses. This is not a word. One event is an “incident.”   Two or more events are “Incidents” (add an “s” to make a plural). There is no such word as “incidentses.”  This probably came from the words, instance and instances.

·         How about “Try and” versus “Try to.”  If you say try to that then would be an effort at an attempt, the word “try” implies that someone will make an attempt, “and” implies there will be success.  I will try to hang this picture- an attempt to hang the picture.  I will try and hang this picture, they will try to hang the picture and apparently they will hang the picture.

·         This one is right up there, literally- “I’m literally starving to death.”  Do you really believe that?
Okay enough already, let’s take a look at actual words that people can’t pronounce.
·         Sherbet
o   Correct pronunciation: shur -  bet
o   Incorrect pronunciation: shur - bert
 ·         Espresso
o   Correct pronunciation: ess - presso
o   Incorrect pronunciation: ex – presso
·         Athlete
o   Correct pronunciation: ath - leet
o   Incorrect pronunciation: ath - a – leet
Other phrases and words that create consternation
·         For all intents and purposes
o   Correct pronunciation: For all intents and purposes
o   Incorrect pronunciation: For all intensive purposes
·         Supposed to: Do not omit the d. Suppose to is incorrect.
·         Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.
·         Toward: There is no s at the end of the word.
·         Anyway: Also has no ending s. Anyways is nonstandard.
·         Couldn't care less: Be sure to make it negative. (Not I could care less.)
·         Farther / Further
·         Farther is talking about a physical distance.
·         “How much farther is Disney World, Daddy?”
·         Further is talking about an extension of time or degree.
·         It’s a mute point?  Huh?? How about – “ It’s a moot point. “
My pet –peave of all??  ‘These ones’… omg…. One is singular.  Helllloooo.  How can you have a plural singular?  We hear this all the time and I’ve noticed it’s our younger generation that doesn’t even seem to care if they speak improper English.  It saddens me.  How about you?  Rita

3 comments:

  1. Well, and grammatically, said.

    Incidence is another nice-try on incidents. Homophones are treacherous.

    I do admit I have to look up further/farther every time.

    My pettiest peeve is misusing decimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... you are so right, Marva . . . and the further/farther is a bugger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my pet peeves is when someone doesn't know the correct word, so they make one up. For example, "conversate" instead of "converse".

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews