Saturday, March 18, 2023

How to Share a Backstory/History with Your Reader By Connie Vines #Backstory, #Round Robin, #Sharing with Readers, #Writing Tips

This month's topic:

The Importance of your character's backstory/history and how to share this with the reader without an info dump that stalls the action.

My preferred method is to utilize my blurb

Example: Lynx (Rodeo Romance, Book 1)

With a dangerous reputation for taking chances and tempting fate, rugged cowboy Lynx Maddox had one goal in life--to win the coveted Silver Buckle rodeo championship. But when he sets eyes on Lovely Rachel Scott, he becomes determined to capture her as well.

Rachel traveled the circuit with her famous father rodeo rider dad until his fatal accident in the arena. Now she wants nothing to do with that world--or the men who risk their lives for one brief moment of glory, But her attraction to Lynx becomes too powerful to deny..., and his unexpected gentleness is too seductive to resist.




However, this month's main topic is introducing backstory/history into the story.  

Internal dialogue is useful, but a conversation with a friend/confidant or having an event trigger a memory creates more substantial reader involvement in the scene.

Rachel stalled to no avail. Charlene planted herself on the arm of the couch, "Dan told me Lynx left for Lubbock without you. Why?"

Rachel squirmed.
"I couldn't do it. Lynx kept talking about his family. He kept telling me about the ranch and planning how we'd spend our days. The more he planned, the more frightened I became. When it came to the final day, I couldn't do it, Charlene. I pulled my suitcase from the closet and remembered all the times I'd picked up and moved...I just couldn't do it again."


Example 2: Brede (Rodeo Romance, Book 2)

In this story, I utilized a prologue. I seldom implement this device (except in my historical novels); however,  because this is romantic suspense, this moves the reader into an action sequence.




Example 3: Tanayia: Whisper upon the Water (Historical)

Prologue

1868

The Governor of New Mexico decreed that all Indian children over six to be educated in the ways of the white man.

Indian Commissioner, Thomas Morgan, said," It is cheaper to educate the Indians than to kill them."


1880, Apacheria, Season of Ripened Berries

Isolated bands of colored clay on white limestone remains where the sagebrush is stripped from Mother Earth by sudden storms and surface waters. Desolate. Bleak. Al and made of barren rocks and twisted paths that reach out into the silence.

A world of hunger and hardship. This is my world. I am Tanayia. I was born thirteen winters ago. We call ourselves N'dee. The People. The white man calls us Apache.



https://books2read.com/Tanayia


Everyone has great tips on sharing a character's backstory with the reader.

Please visit the participants:



Connie
Link to my publisher's website:  https://www.bookswelove.com/vines-connie/

(eBook and print)

Happy Reading!  📖📚📱




2 comments:

  1. Excellent point - the blurb can bring in key elements of backstory that don't have to be explained later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the prologue idea. Or the blurb. But having one character talk to another one is a great way to get the reader on the same page as the characters--learning things at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews